Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,045   Online: 753

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Oops! I dropped my Rolleiflex!!

Yes, I had one of those moments, trying to hand off two bodies at once by the straps and obviously only had ahold of one.

So, the good news, it looks as though everything is in good order, short of an actual test.
    but...
    The bad news is it dropped right on the back locking clip, snapped it right in two.
    Now it won't lock, the back won't stay closed so no use trying to put film in it.

Which brings me to my question, has this ever happened to anyone else?
    If so, were you able to repair it, short of sending it off to someone who really knows how to do this (Hello Mr. Fleenor)??
    The only thing that comes to mind is super glue but I wonder if that would hold up under the pressure put on this clip.

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Its a long shot. but let me know which model. It is possible I have one to fit. I doubt very seriously any glue would hold up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd send it to Harry. He will check the flange distance and make sure it's up to snuff. You cound have internal damage that is hidden.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dropped mine on a marble floor one time and it seemed fine. It was only after a day of shooting in strong sunlight that I found the back had been bent slightly at the corner, letting in light when held "just so."

Send it out. A Rollei that doesn't work is a constant rebuke, sitting there on the shelf waiting to be used. The clip should be replaceable from a junker, and I'm not sure the design of that part changed all that much through the years.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    use an elastic band or two good to confirm the back is ok for a trial film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got mine back from Harry recently, great work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seriel number is 1258155, I think that makes it an Automat K4A.
    It looks as though removing and replacing it would be similar to methodology used in adjusting a wrist watch band. Gently push out the pins remove links re-insert pins.
    I like the "elastic band test" idea. Do this definitely before I would tinker with it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd also do a couple of focus tests to make sure everything is in proper alignment - do a couple shots on a test roll with focus at infinity, ideally of a flat plane subject like a wall. Shoot these wide open or nearly so - the narrow depth of field will show up any problems with focus faster. Repeat with the camera focused at minimum focus distance. Ideally for both subjects they will be relatively flat, but with texture so focus shifting/mis-alignment will be obvious. do your best to be square, level and parallel to the subject. Develop the film and see if the negatives compare to your expectations. If there is a problem, send the film along with the notes you took about which frames were which to the technician servicing the camera.

A friend once remarked when I dropped a Hasselblad back on some seaside rocks and watched it slide a few feet toward the water, "You'll always remember just when, where and how those marks on the back were made."

I hope your Rollei was not seriously damaged. It's one of those "Oh S---" moments. I've dropped mine only once, years ago, and it gained a couple of dings but no real damage. Definitely test it for some kind of misalignment.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If it's the locking mechanism, then you would replace the entire back, especially if it snapped in two.

I would send it out for service, especially if you aren't the mechanical type. Some people are. Some people aren't. That's OK.

I think you'll probably be more careful in the future. It's always a sad moment when you drop a camera. I've only dropped one camera in 35 years (luckily), and I've handled hundreds of cameras. The fall put a small ding into the top deck of my Pentax MX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin