Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,013   Online: 679

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 6/6MF - custom light meter adjustment/replacement ?

Hello,

I am using Mamiya 6 with all 3 lenses for more than 2 years. Within the limitations inherent to being a RF camera it really is a perfect travel MF camera.

But there is one thing that constantly bugs me - the light meter. It is sensitive to an area larger than the coverage of the 50 lens (!) and so in most situations nearly unusable - often leading to heavy (depending on the conditions up to two stops) underexposure. This is also a reason why I have used a hand-held meter (Gossen Digisix) on very most occasions. Under more challenging conditions (moving subject) or changing light this was/is a disadvantage at times.

My question is - is there a shop anywhere in the world that would be able to re-adjust (or even swap from Mamiya 7) the light meter such that it would measure over smaller angle?

I know that an obvious solution would be to get a Mamiya 7 (which I may consider at some point, the 43 lens is tempting), but I would rather keep the 6 because of the format and collapsing mount (genius feature IMO).

thank you

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too love the mamiya 6. I have 2 bodies and all three lenses. The light meter is sensitive to areas outside the meter area, mainly the sky in my shooting situations. To correct this I shoot in AEL mode and tilt the camera downward and lock that reading in then recompose and shoot. I also set the ISO dial one stop below what I normally shoot. But I would say 90% of the time I use my Pentax spot meter with the camera. Much more riable. The meter really is the weak point of this camera. As for swapping meters, I doubt it could be done and in most cases with these older electronic cameras, the less you mess with the guts of the camera the better! That's been my experience anyways. I'd reccomend trying the deal with the meter by trying my trick and use your handheld meter whenever possible. It's a great camera! And I would never trade mine for a mamiya 7!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have just come back from doing a shoot with my Mamiya 6. I've never really thought about the meter being a problem and infact find it very consistent. There again I normally always use it in the exposure lock mode; the square symbol next to B I think. Before final composition, will choose the tone closest to what I think is the appropriate mid tone for the shot, take a reading with the centre spot, hold down the shutter to lock the exposure and then re-compose and focus. That's one thing I love about the rangefinder that the exposure lock will not effect the focus.

Having said that, bet my films come out duff now!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard of people putting a small black 'sun shade' over the top of the finder window to cutout some top light. I tend to avoid using the built-in meter for actual measurements, and I have a permanent plus exposure adjustment dialed in on my M6. The meter is consistent with my others under the right conditions, but coping with it's quirks is tedious.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Hello,

I am using Mamiya 6 with all 3 lenses for more than 2 years. Within the limitations inherent to being a RF camera it really is a perfect travel MF camera.

But there is one thing that constantly bugs me - the light meter. It is sensitive to an area larger than the coverage of the 50 lens (!) and so in most situations nearly unusable - often leading to heavy (depending on the conditions up to two stops) underexposure. This is also a reason why I have used a hand-held meter (Gossen Digisix) on very most occasions. Under more challenging conditions (moving subject) or changing light this was/is a disadvantage at times.

My question is - is there a shop anywhere in the world that would be able to re-adjust (or even swap from Mamiya 7) the light meter such that it would measure over smaller angle?

I know that an obvious solution would be to get a Mamiya 7 (which I may consider at some point, the 43 lens is tempting), but I would rather keep the 6 because of the format and collapsing mount (genius feature IMO).

thank you
    As another Mamiya6 fan with the same set up,I fully agree but recommend to stick to the Gossen Digisix.It is the perfect travel companion toyour camera;very accurate and reliable.also the 43mm vs your 50mm won't make much difference anyway Your lens trio are the best optics I own.Afew years ago, I made a trip visiting french cathedrialsand the Mamiya 6 left me with stunning images with beautiful contrast and detail.I cannot praise that camera and it's lenses enough.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've owned and used the 6 for about a year and a half now and just love it. I'm somewhat surprised by the complaints about the meter as I haven't noticed it. But then again, I've mostly shot monochrome negative film and with it's great latitude minor exposure errors just haven't been an issue.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin