Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,033   Online: 917

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Value of V-System Hasselblads in light of discontinued 503CW line?

I noticed that Hasselblad has announced it is no longer making 503CW cameras (http://www.ephotozine.com/article/en...v-system-21866) so I wondered how that might have impacted on the cost of V-System Hasselblads generally.

I bought my 501CM about two years ago for £2K with a 80mm lens etc. A quick search of eBay (not my preferred place anymore but useful as a price guide) I notice today that 503CWs are currently selling for around that price now, and 501CM around 1.5K, give or take a few hundred. For example, here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HASSELBLAD...item417974799f) is almost the exact same rig as I own (my lens is the 80mm CB, not CBT), from the same retailer in fact, for £600 less than I bought 2 years ago. Condition wise, it looks the same.

So are others finding that V-System Hasselblad worth is increasing or decreasing, especially since the announcement back in April?
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People will pay what they want to pay, and what they feel it's worth.
    Sellers will charge what they want to get for a piece of equipment.
    Deals are made when the two come to an agreeable price point during the "song and dance".

If resale values due to cosmetic condition of your equipment get in the way of you making pictures w/ your equipment, sell it and don't look back.

I used to be the same way. I didn't get out enough to make pictures. I finally realized that if I got out there, made photographs(what the equipment was designed for), then I really didn't care what I paid(as long as I could afford it at the time). Of course, if I can/could find a "deal"(compared to going rates for other sales of the same model), then great. It makes getting a new tool less expensive. Rather than buying "pretty" equipment, I purchased equipment that had seen use, had scuffs and some dings, but still worked as intended. That way, I couldn't tell when/if I made a new mark. As long as it works as-intended, I frankly don't care anymore. Guess what? I can breathe much easier now !

If you're worried about putting a scuff on your camera because it might hurt the resale value, then give up now, because you'll drive yourself insane. I was driving myself insane before coming to a "moment of clarity" myself.

Use what works for you, and don't worry about what others use/why they use it. They're YOUR photographs, and it's YOUR equipment.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Clean late equipment is ascending, older tired equipment is descending. 503CW is the camera that is most in demand at this time, the demand comes mainly from professionals that want to have replacements or backup. There are good bargains to be had but be careful.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't get me wrong - I'm not intending on selling my 501CM. I love it, and as you say Dan, I use it as often as I can - I trkec out into the hill the other day in pouring rain and wind and my Blad took a bit of a beating but it dried out OK and I'm yet to see the results of that shoot.

I was merely curious about the current V-System 'market worth' overall, and whether the fact that there are now no new models being built of any V-System had an impact on the value of current existing equipment owned by folks.
    Ted Smith Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just out of interest, and partly related, but check out this rare NEW (as in unused) Hasselblad. Don't see them very often. http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/12031410043281
    Ted Smith Photography

High-quality gear that is well maintained will hold its place in the market. That the market is unpredictable is the problem. I paid good money for a lightly used Hasselblad system about 7 or 8 years ago, and I watch the KEH prices on occasion to see how the value is holding up. Given that I use the system, its value as I perceive it has held up pretty well. I probably would ask about 85% of what I paid for it if I was to sell it privately today. I figure any decline in market value is fair given the amount of use and enjoyment I get out of the system.

This strategy of buying good quality and holding/using it for a long time has its faults, too. Just ask me about my Canon F1 and FD lens investment from 30 years ago. They all still work, but resale value is a small fraction of what I paid. I wouldn't feel so bad about it if I actually used it any more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Just out of interest, and partly related, but check out this rare NEW (as in unused) Hasselblad. Don't see them very often. http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/12031410043281
    I am sure that the 24-year old seals and flocking in that camera are juuust fine.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin