Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,668   Online: 805

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mysterious rings on Hasselblad viewfinder

When using my Hasselblad 501CM in quite heavy rain and wind the other day, after about two hours I noticed these mysterious rings appearing on the Acutte Matt D viewfinder.

Once the Blad had tried out, they dissapeared.

What are they, and do I need to worry about it? Obviously a cause of the wet, but quite odd how they are perfectly circular and cylindrical. I assume they won't impact the image on film as the picture goes out the back through the curtains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PC310303.JPG   PC310304.JPG  
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You probably got a drop of water between the screen and the Fresnel. Once in there capillary action pulled it around.
    That's my guess, anyway.
    No it won't affect the image. If everything is dry there probably won't be a lasting problem. I would probably remove the screen and make sure it doesn't have any lingering moisture either on or around it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I took your advice and took the screen out just now to clean it and dry it (never done that before - didn't realise it was so easy!).

What I noticed is that really faint circular rings could be seen - almost opaque against the glass, so I think when it gets wet, the magnification distance to the mirrors emphasises them to make them as visible as they were in the screenshots above.
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ted_smith View Post
    Yeah, I took your advice and took the screen out just now to clean it and dry it (never done that before - didn't realise it was so easy!).

What I noticed is that really faint circular rings could be seen - almost opaque against the glass, so I think when it gets wet, the magnification distance to the mirrors emphasises them to make them as visible as they were in the screenshots above.
    Ted:

Google "fresnel" and consider "faint circular rings"
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin