Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,170   Online: 1130

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hasselblad Mirror lock up problem

So I just got my 500CM, I was trying the mirror lock up function on it but noticed that the primary shutter was opening as well when I hit the switch. It wasn't doing the selected shutter speed, it would just sort of half-open and then slowly close. After it was closed I could fire the primary shutter like normal. Is there anyway I could fix this? All the shutter speeds sound right when I fire the camera, and a polaroid I took came out alright. The lens is an 80mm CF.
    Last edited by Atari1977; 01-07-2014 at 06:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tried it again and it seems that the mirror lock up function works fine when the lens' aperture is in the preview mode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like it has a problem.
    When you hit the pre-release, it should close the shutter in the lens then the mirror goes up and the rear curtains open. When you press the shutter release the shutter should open and close, then on releasing the button the rear curtains will close.

Should work the same way whether or not the lens is in DOF preview mode.

Based on what you describe with your camera, I'd expect a fogged frame if you pre-release with film in a back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Is there any evidence of oil on the shutter leaves?

Take the film back off, and trigger the mirror lock up while peering through the film gate, do you see light as the shutter closes? You should not, if you do, then the shutter leaves are slow (usually due to oil contamination) and they need to be cleaned.

During mirror lock up, the primary leaf shutter does not "open", as it starts out opened (so you can see). It should close, before the light baffle in the body opens. If it does not close in time, it needs a service.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't see any oil on the shutter or aperture blades. It's shutter is snappy when fired normally and when the mirror lock-up is activated when the DOF preview is activated(or when I push the switch down just before the DOF is activated). So far all the shutter speeds sound like they are correct,

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I did some more testing and found that at one second, f/22 the aperture blades would slowly close, then when they reached the right position, the shutter activated and closed a second later. So it looks like the lens needs servicing, all the fast speeds seems to work though, and the event I described only seems to happen after using bulb mode.

Shooter
    Large Format
    "All the speeds seem to work" is EBAY talk for "this lens needs CLA."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice one Tom:-)
    It sounds like there is a sticking or faulty control ring on the shutter. A CLA or 'service' should fix it.

Douglas Fairbank
    www.classicv.co.uk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sending it to David Odess today for a CLA. The lens is in good cosmetic shape though and I think I got a good price, even including what this repair is going to cost me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well the lens is still out for repair, David Odess has been backed up lately. Along with a CLA he's replacing the main spring and the mounting tube, which according to him" It is a part in the shutter that has two teflon bearings, and one of the bearings is cracked, effecting the operation of the shutter".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin