Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,894   Online: 1144

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Looking around the web, I see that certain Contaxes (Contaxi?) have been discontinued, but not the whole deal. That would be bad.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Images
    Contax is to be distributed by Tocad. Read this.

http://www.tocad.com/news.html
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I hear that the G system is not yet out of production. If you're looking, KEH always has something and I've seen one guy on E-prey selling a bunch of the 16mm lenes.

Images
    I wonder if they are moving their service to Tocad.

Parsippany is closer to me than Somerset
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sounds good to me, Kyocera's US distribution people have been a voice in the wilderness, while Tocad manages sunpak, hakuba, and zero/halliburton -- they've got reps that are active and connected to camera and photo vendors everywhere. Tocad's sunpak service has always been communicative and prompt, so I'm crossing my fingers. If not, my other camera hasn't been made for over 20 years and it seems to work okay.
    Last edited by bjorke; 02-10-2005 at 10:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Loose, great search! That is reassuring. At least I will still be able to get lenses for the 645AF. Hope they cover the servicing too.
    What!? Behind the rabbit?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

JUST TO BE CLEAR: CONTAX WAS NOT "DUMPED"

From the press release:

[size=4]"... its commitment to strengthen and expand the Contax brand and line..."[/size]

this is a change in U.S. Distribution not "dumping" the Contax line.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Now...that can't be quite right. I mean, seriously, I just bought a G1 and lens, so the company has to go out of business. That's the way the world works.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    From the press release:

[size=4]"... its commitment to strengthen and expand the Contax brand and line..."[/size]

What part of the product line will be expanded? Maybe digital. Not the film cameras. Don't get me wrong, I have skin in the game, too. I have a Contax 645 and 45, 80 and 140mm lenses. I love the camera, other than the battery comsumption issue, the lack of halfstops on the lenses and the fact that it goes to "sleep" to conserve the battery after only 15 seconds. The lenses are great and the camera truly handles like a large 35mm.

But, the handwriting has been on the wall for a long time. the camera has seriously needed upgrades for quite a while and it has never happened. I wouldn't be suprised if they never make another new 645 again. I had considered buying a spare body to cover my lens investment, but I just can't afford to, anymore. I think there will be lots of cameras available for a while and we can always cannibalize used ones to keep our stuff going. That said, I always thought Kyrocea had pretty deep pockets. It's a damn shame...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am trying to find a used Kodak DCS 16 MP back for my 645, that's how much I love mine! Just returned from Yellowstone where I shot 35mm due to the harsh weather but wish to heck I had my Contax. Small format just does not compare.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin