Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,972   Posts: 1,523,589   Online: 908

Shooter
    35mm

Makina 67 and low light

Maybe a difficult question to answer but would you consider the Makina 67 to be on par with the Rolleiflex f2.8 and Leica M's for low light? I am only talking about the shutter speed limitations and not the lens aperture limitation, as you can technically get a f1.0 lens for Leica's.

I ask because I don't find the f2.8 on my Rolleiflex or the f2.8 on my Leica Summaron limiting. I can shoot at 1/30s comfortably hand-held, 1/15s with bracing, and sometimes 1/8 and lower with bracing and luck. This is for both cmeras.

Can this be done with the Makina?

I am wondering if the Makina would be comparable to operate at these speeds. I'm not sure if the ergonomics or maybe shutter vibrations get in the way. Being able to shoot at 1/30 comfortably is very important to me as I shoot at that speed often (indoors).

I know everyone is different but from your experience with these cameras as many people I am sure have a Makina and/or a Leica M/ Rolleiflex.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Makina 67 and low light

Well I think both have their advantages, I have only shot my friends rollei 2.8 and have never shot the makina but have used a number of range finders and folders. The tlr has the advantage of being a little heavier, and you can push down on the strap against your neck. Focusing though would be harder in available light. The makina also has a fast lens, and focusing is brighter with a range finder in available light making it easier. Both have leaf shutters which are great for slower speeds and vibration reduction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take images with my Makina 67 at 1/30 sec quite sucessfully. At 1/15 sec it is useful to take two images and choose the one with less blur. I feel it is quite the same as with 35 mm film in my Rollei 35 S. - And I should mention that the internal spot-like lightmeter in the Makina 67 gives correct readings down to impressive low light level - almost as sensitive as my Gossen Profilux, but this is then low light which needs a tripod even with high ASA film.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I've got the Plaubel 67W with the wide-angle Nikkor, and haven't found using 1/30 handheld to be a problem. And Heinz is right re: the meter.

Here's a photograph made in the NYC subway, probably 1/30 or 1/15, acceptably sharp, and the large negative helps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subway David001 copy.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	82386

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had the makina 67 and still have the Rolleiflex TLR 2.8 and I had them at the same time. The Rolleiflex TLR (SLRs are no comparison) is definitely safer with slower shutter speeds; the Makina is more prone to movement because of the shutter release I think, you have to press it down and there is more resistance than the TLR has. I did not do a rigorous test but I would trust my TLR more at 1/30 than the Makina at 1/60, depending of course how large you print. Of course, YMMV.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin