Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,110   Online: 1155

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a ThinkTank Streetwalker HardDrive. It is nice and big. i can use it with my 4x5 gear as well as with my Mamiya RZ. It is very sturdy, I feel confident that my gear is packed securely and it is extremely comfortable to wear.
    ---
    There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.
    ~ Ansel Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here's my F-Stop Tilopa BC. Their bags are very comfortable, open in the back instead of the front like most other bags, and have interchangeable inserts which makes it very easy to customize for your particular needs. Have a look at http://fstopgear.com

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1065.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	385.6 KB 
ID:	82877

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dismalhiker View Post
    This is very interesting. I just received a (used) Mamiaya RZ67 yesterday with 50mm and 150mm lenses (also have a "Texas Leica" Fujica GSW690) and I want to take both of them hiking, although probably one at a time.

My question is... although these photo-gear backpacks look great, where do you put the other stuff? Usually when I go hiking I need to carry at least a poncho (or other rain gear), lunch, head lamps, and other non-photo gear. These photo backpacks look like they are meant to be stuffed with lenses and cameras with no room for anything else. Thanks!
    Your wife!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    I will say that the Tamrac 8x has a fairly large open pouch that is zipped closed between the layer for filter storage and the tripod mount area...
    Is the Tamrac 8x comfortable on long hikes? The Tamrac 8x looks like it has substantial hip belt pads and overall appears to be a reasonable size for an MF camera, lenses AND other non-photo gear items.

The F-Stop and Think Tank packs look very interesting as well. The configurability of the F-Stop packs is especially appealing. Will check them all out. Thanks to everyone for these great suggestions!
    Last edited by dismalhiker; 02-22-2014 at 10:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just some insight....

Most photo-centric backpacks are made for the amateur camera owner, photo enthusiast crowd, not the professional outdoor photographer. Reason being as it would seem is enthusiasts want to pack the entire kit and rarely consider what truly makes the chances for a great outdoor shot to come their way:

1. Maximum time in the field and the ability to get there under ones own power in a safe manner.
    2. In order to having staying power, speed to react and to keep comfortable in the kind of weather that often leads to brilliant shots, one needs water, food and clothing.

Very few if any overweight and overpadded bulky photo backpacks allow for this. It took me and several other mountain / outdoor pros nearly two decades of calling and emailing Lowe Pro to get them to the point they are now in introducing super light and well thought out packs like the new AW series. Twice I have been under NDA in testing packs that lead up to the 15L AW and Photosport 200 AW. But even with those great new packs, I will still use super light regular non-photo nerd packs with gear wrapped in clothing items that also allow for food and plenty of water.

If the saying goes F8 and be there, the reality is F5.6 and stay there so suffice to say, most of what is usually recommended will not allow that...it baffles the mind that most enthusiasts do not see this...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 02-22-2014 at 02:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Myself and my wife are Florida nature and wildlife photographers. We backpack our equipment for a days outing in Lowepro Trekker backpacks. She uses a Pro trekker 300aw and I use an older model trekker.I carry approx 30 lbs and she carries approx 22 lbs. These packs are very comfortable as we have hiked down into Florida swamps and back covering 6 miles thru rugged palmettos and underbrush. They carry a considerable amount of equipment, we both shoot medium format Mamiya 645's, along with Mamiya C330 and Yashica mat 124 ( not all at the same time . we also carry rain gear, food and water. These packs have more than been adequate, sturdy, tough and We both carry a camera, 3-4 lens, filters, lightmeters, teleconverters, we hand carry our tripods, and like I said comfy to carry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the Tamrac 8x comfortable on long hikes? The Tamrac 8x looks like it has substantial hip belt pads and overall appears to be a reasonable size for an MF camera, lenses AND other non-photo gear items.
    Yes, I find the pack works perfectly for my needs. I'm not an overnight camp out type photog. I only need it for my gear as required. It is comfortable and does have a waist belt. However, I do not use the belt. I have it bunched back and out of my way. I do use the tether that goes across the chest to keep the shoulder straps aligned. My typical outings are no more then two miles in and back out. There are times where I've gone in as much as 4 or 5 miles and back out on an outing, but not near as much these days.
    Last edited by Trail Images; 02-22-2014 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That Lowepro trekker 300AW weighs in at nearly 7 pounds empty, my pack that holds my 4x5 with 5 lenses, 6 holders ( or 3 plus two 10 sheet Kinematics ) filters, step up rings, 190 CX tripod with Acratech GP head, food, water and some spare clothing weighs 2.5 pounds empty...

This is exactly what I am talking about...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 02-22-2014 at 02:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How is it for traveling?
    Sorry Curt, I missed your question earlier. If you're talking about flying with this setup I would be the last person to respond on that item. I have not flown in over 20 years now. I only travel by vehicle and with that said it's not an item of concern.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    Yes, I find the pack works perfectly for my needs. I'm not an overnight camp out type photog. I only need it for my gear as required. It is comfortable and does have a waist belt. However, I do not use the belt. I have it bunched back and out of my way. I do use the tether that goes across the chest to keep the shoulder straps aligned. My typical outings are no more then two miles in and back out. There are times where I've gone in as much as 4 or 5 miles and back out on an outing, but not near as much these days.
    Again, thanks. This will be about what I intend to do. No long mileage/overnight outings. My wife and I intend to start doing some long weekend type traveling in year or so (we should be nearly debt free at that point) and that's the main reason I got the RB. She will be going with me so Alan's comment is actually the truth. I don't see myself doing 5-10 mile hikes in the mountains. Been there, done that when I still hunted.

PKM-25: I don't have a backpack yet, but I do have one of the Lowepro Slingshot 202AW bags. I have carried that with my D200 with battery pack, 55mm macro, 24-70mm, YashicaMat, Luna-Pro meter, 1/2 dozen rolls of film, all my lens/sensor cleaning stuff and the other digital bits and bobs on all day walks in the city. It weighs right below 18lbs. My shoulder never got sore. If it was bigger I'd use it for the RB.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin