Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,815   Posts: 1,581,626   Online: 737

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Backpack for Mamiya RB67

I've finally got the camera and shot a roll. Enjoyed it immensely! Now the hard part, finding a backpack I can shove this stuff into. I currently have a Lowepro Nova (forget which model) but the camera with back and 65mm lens+hood will sit into it with about 1-2" to spare. I can throw my Luna Pro meter in there and some film, but that's it. That bag will work for normal going out and shooting, but when we take trips I'm going to need something more comfortable/larger to carry it around with. Ideally I would like to take the camera, the 65mm lens+hood, 3 backs, another lens, film, meter, and maybe a couple of filters. I've been looking at the Tamrac Expeditions (not sure what size) or a Thinktank Streetwalker Pro. I read of several people using the Lowepro Mini-Trekker. I've also read of them complaining if they have to carry it for very long as it's evidently uncomfortable. I will be using whatever I get for daytrips - hiking or city walking with a tripod.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated because the only thing within a 2 hour drive that carries bags is Best Buy.

I've searched the archives to get ideas, but if anyone has any experience with something other than the Lowepro Mini-Trekker or Nature Trekker I'd be much obliged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Tamrac Expediton 8 with either my RB67 or Wista 4x5. I've had this setup for a couple years now and find it perfect for my type of field work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    I use a Tamrac Expediton 8 with either my RB67 or Wista 4x5. I've had this setup for a couple years now and find it perfect for my type of field work.
    What all can you fit in the 8? Love to see a snapshot of it loaded with the RB67 stuff!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These are are a real grab shot with a iPhone. But it will give you an idea. Keep in mind the lens cases are storing two lenses each. The Domke bag is optional as I use this pack for both MF & LF. The nice thing is all the filter stuff is set for 77mm on both systems, so no matter which unit I take I just change the lens packs out and cameras and take off. The two upper side pouches are an add on and do not come with the original pack. I'm sure there was probably an array of dividers with the pack, however, I find I arrange things best for both setups and ease of changing on a weekly basis for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo(2).JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	82864

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	82868

Name:	photo(1).JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	182.4 KB 
ID:	82863
    Last edited by Trail Images; 02-21-2014 at 07:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you very much, Trail Images. That bag is HUGE. I wonder if I could get by with a 6X or 7X model? I read of one guy who got his RB67 with the 90mm, 250mm, prism, one back, grip, and more film than I can handle as well as his Olympus E-PM1 and 4 lenses with room to spare. Seems like that would be a heck of a squeeze. I like the looks of the Expedition series and they seem to get favorable reviews and used 6X's seem to come up fairly often.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm sure with some close measurements you can check the differences between the 6x & 8x and verify your overall needs. Keep in mind I use this pack for double duty and for that reason it is perfect for my needs. I change back and forth between MF & LF gear on a weekly basis. That at this point is not an issue you're confronted with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Tamarac 787 http://www.adorama.com/TR787BK.html I keep the RB67 with 50, 90 180, and 360 lenses. waist level and eye finders, lightmeter, filters, one back, film, cable releases, collapsible/adjustable lens shade, etc etc. It has a waist band for your hips for better support as well as the shoulder straps. I think it weigh 45 pounds fully loaded; tripod not included. I usually don't hike with it far from the car. I'd rather have a hot poker in my left eye then have to go too far.

Anway it's well made. I haven't had any trouble with rips or zipper failure or getting stuck. It has a handle on top which is handy for moving it in and out of the car and just moving it around and the straps tuck away when not needed. It's very strong. I imagine the Tamrac later models are made similarly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is very interesting. I just received a (used) Mamiaya RZ67 yesterday with 50mm and 150mm lenses (also have a "Texas Leica" Fujica GSW690) and I want to take both of them hiking, although probably one at a time.

My question is... although these photo-gear backpacks look great, where do you put the other stuff? Usually when I go hiking I need to carry at least a poncho (or other rain gear), lunch, head lamps, and other non-photo gear. These photo backpacks look like they are meant to be stuffed with lenses and cameras with no room for anything else. Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My question is... although these photo-gear backpacks look great, where do you put the other stuff? Usually when I go hiking I need to carry at least a poncho (or other rain gear), lunch, head lamps, and other non-photo gear.
    This is a very good point. I will say that the Tamrac 8x has a fairly large open pouch that is zipped closed between the layer for filter storage and the tripod mount area. In fact, I do carry a very large dark-cloth for LF work as well as a headlamp assembly in a draw string bag in that large pouch area. I would think it would store light rain gear in it too. I find over the years I've tried my best to prune down the items I carry, albeit not as much as I'd like, but still a doable load to carry. So, although there is space and the ability to add OEM external storage pouches it does become more weight to tote overall. I have two external small pouches added to mine with light weight items in them, you can actually add 4 large external pouches if you care to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Images View Post
    How is it for traveling?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin