Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,821   Online: 876

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiev 88

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I donīt have any actual experience with Kiev cameras but in my view, the prime reason to use them would be access to the great Zeiss Jena lenses, especially 180/2,8 and 120/2,8, 300/4. They have the finest bokeh I have ever seen in MF. But as some already said, that is only possible with modified versions like the 88CM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slixtiesix View Post
    I donīt have any actual experience with Kiev cameras but in my view, the prime reason to use them would be access to the great Zeiss Jena lenses, especially 180/2,8 and 120/2,8, 300/4. They have the finest bokeh I have ever seen in MF. But as some already said, that is only possible with modified versions like the 88CM.
    Or the Pentacon Six! Not the most reliable, or the easiest to handle, but a long ways ahead of the Kiev MF cameras... especially the 6c/60.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Douple-plus yes on using a TLR -- yashica or rollei -- for street shooting. Every time you put a camera up to your eye to shoot you scream to all around "PICTURE BEING TAKEN!!!"

with a waist-level tlr people tend to not even know it is a camera, let alone that they've just had their picture taken. They are also a LOT quieter than any slr, hassy or kiev, and especially more than a kiev -- their mirror/shutter (when it works) is extremely loud.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yashica92 View Post
    Thx all opinion , actually i shot RB67 , but it was a heavy beast for street photographic not so convinient , so im looking for other MF SLR ,and i saw so many negative feedback from Kiev 88
    another option for street shooting Medium Format street shooting is a rangefinder -- find urself a Super Ikonta A or B. Very compact and VERY quiet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    Douple-plus yes on using a TLR -- yashica or rollei -- for street shooting. Every time you put a camera up to your eye to shoot you scream to all around "PICTURE BEING TAKEN!!!"

with a waist-level tlr people tend to not even know it is a camera, let alone that they've just had their picture taken. They are also a LOT quieter than any slr, hassy or kiev, and especially more than a kiev -- their mirror/shutter (when it works) is extremely loud.
    Heh. I wish I could afford a Rollei, or was brave enough to get that close. With a longer lens on an SLR, you at least have a head start when running when they do realize what's going on

EDIT:

+1 on the old folder/rangefinder. Agfa Isolettes are a ton of fun and cheap... With limited speeds, stopping down and guessing distance is usually enough.

I've always loved the Fuji GA645zi for what it is, too... and so many people assume it's an ancient point and shoot camera, and nothing serious.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest you get a Mamiya 1000s with an 80mm lens. Far cheaper and better than the KIEV stuff and way better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Pentax 645 with a 55mm lens can be had for about $350 on KEH. Almost certainly more reliable than the Kiev. You can also adapt the Pentacon Six lenses to the Pentax 645 mount if you really must use those lenses.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -Here in my country in 90' people from USSR sale many of them very cheep and i buy and try all of them.
    -Well the lens for the money is fine and for b&w EXCELLENCE..
    -BUT i don't try ANY SINGLE body that work ok... All have problem with the shutter, the speed is not right, and even i try with a friend who is technician in camera, we can't make any single one to work without a problem...
    -Don't buy, is a waste of money and time, except for the lens, if you buy a adapter for Mamyia 645 is perffect for b&w, (my best tonality in my b&w pictures is with this combo...).

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Thx again to all , seems many camera are brought from KEH , it's reliable and accurate description for it's items ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Always the hatred for the kievs... sigh.

A lot of people on a lot of different forums that I've read seem to have been burned from buying them new mail-order from ads in the back of photo magazines in the 90s and hold grudges for the next 20 years.
    The Hassy 1000 and 1600 may have not lasted very long, but they had very fragile corrugated shutters. Kievs have nice light-tight cloth.
    Credit where credit's due, the Ukranians didn't just copy cameras, in a lot of cases they made them better. I had a Pentacon6 for a while before getting a Kiev60, and the Kiev is a cut above, feels a lot more solid. The P6 (strangely enough) feels more 'Japanese' in its construction.

I've had my K88CM for about a year or two now, and no troubles.

Having to wind the shutter before changing speeds or it jams? That scared me a bit when I first read it, but once I started using it I realised, "so freakin what?".
    Why would you want to change shutter speed before you can even see anything in the viewfinder? (winding shutter makes the mirror return too).

In about 20-30 rolls I've put through that beast (with 2 NT backs and 4 older ones) I've had 1 roll in an older back that didn't have very good frame spacing, but then I knew I hadn't loaded it the best to begin with.

Just don't pay too much, and don't expect too much. For $100 it won't be the best camera in the world, but I still reach for it more often than my M645AF. I haven't tried the Hassy prism but the Kiev TTL/Spot prism is great to use and a lot of people agree on google. It only takes a small screwdriver and 5 mins to calibrate.
    Get the 88CM and an MC Biometar for another $100, practically the same as a Planar without the pricetag.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin