Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,473   Online: 943

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Settings for Rolleiflex and Kodak Portra 160 - help please!

Hi. I have a rolleiflex old standard, as mentioned in a previous post. Freshly CLA'd by Brian Mickleboro!

I have bought some Portra 160 colour negative film.

I am somewhat confused how to shoot with the rollei as it doesn't quite fit any rules.

I am in the UK, and roughly follow the sunny16 rule.

However, the rollei has the following settings:

F Stops: 3.5,4,5.6,8,11,22
    Shutter Speeds 1,2,5,10,25,59,100,300,500

How on earth do I calculate the settings? I am not using ISO 100 film 1/125 speed or F16!

Can someone give me any rough pointers?

Thanks in advance for any help or calculations you can offer!

Regards

Carl
    Last edited by Carl170; 02-28-2014 at 05:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Because I am an idiot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either use a light meter or estimate a half stop adjustment from the chart. It's not critical; it's got a very nice latitude.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's pretty simple. The hardest part is converting the old speeds to current values. If you were to use a 100 speed film a direct value would be 100 @ 16.

Make your ISO a fraction and read it like this.......1/160th your f stop is still 16 for bright sun.
    ISO 25 would be 1/25th @ 16.
    This works for any speed film. You just need to use a speed that's close. On your camera that's 1/100 @ f22 or 1/300 @ f11.
    That's ball park or calibrated eyeball(sunny 16)

Redundancy not intentional.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your f-stop scale probably has a small dot between 11 and 22; that dot represents f/16.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Since the camera doesn't use the "modern" shutter speeds, use sunny f16 (or whatever is appropriate for the north of England for this time of year and err on the side of more exposure rather than less. So if proper exposure on a modern camera might be 1/125 at f8, make it 1/100 at f8. With negative film, always err on the side of overexposure -- it actually does better that way. So maybe just rate the film at 100 speed and go from there.

Shooter
    35mm
    At your latitude, Carl and at this time of year and probably for the next few months I'd be inclined to use the sunny F11 rule and also err on the side of overexposure, as Nick has suggested.

So if it were me I'd use 1/100th at f11 and even then I'd be inclined to use f8 or the next shutter speed down unless it was a very clear, sunny day

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd just shoot it at 100
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Your f-stop scale probably has a small dot between 11 and 22; that dot represents f/16.
    Thanks Mr Bill, just had a look and indeed it does!

Thanks everyone who has replied so far.

Just shows how out of touch I am with my Maths!

Regards

Carl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your stops and shutter speed dials are infinitely variable analog, not hard digital clicks. Just put them partway between.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Your stops and shutter speed dials are infinitely variable analog, not hard digital clicks. Just put them partway between.
    I'm not sure that is the case for the shutter speeds - some cameras yes, but does it apply for this Rollieflex's shutter?

And to the OP: less than one stop over-exposure would most likely work very well with Portra 160 and most other negative films. If you decide to shoot slide film, get back in touch!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin