Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,806   Online: 680

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try an Autocord. They're economical and the lenses are very good. However, my favorite 6x6 camera is an older Rolleicord w/ a Triotar lens. Try to find a later one w/ a shutter that goes to 1/500. You'll have to replace the mirror and focus screenm which is cheap, and get a yellow filter and a hood, but those cameras are small, light and make wonderful images, especially portraits. Great lens even if it is a 3 element. Very sharp in the center, beautiful bokeh. You could get 2 or 3 for your price point, so get one and buy a ton of Tri-X :}

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mamiya C330 with waist-level finder and a 65mm or 80mm lens (black) - from KEH will get you under your target price.

Mine has been serving me well since I bought it from store stock in or about 1976.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    M7 and M9 in 6 months ? I bet you can hire a national geographic team to shoot for you at amazon or deep africa ! I bet you will dislike your hasselblad in next month and turn to iphone.
    What are you making up for here exactly? Are you short or something? Bad job maybe? Didn't make it where you felt you should?

In any case, don't sweat it... I won't judge you for having judged me. It's just not in my nature.

Oh, and ironically... I do work for Nat Geo. How about them apples?

To the rest of you, thanks so much for the help. With my 35mm negs, I both scan them for web use and use my Focomat IC (35mm only enlarger) to make prints. I take photos for both work and pleasure. The work stuff is mostly with the M9 and sometimes with scanned negs. The pleasure stuff is mostly film these days. I figured if I really liked working with the 6x6 neg, I'd sell the IC and get a more flexible enlarger.

I think the 500C is probably what I really want, but I just don't have the budget for it right now. From what I can tell, it takes $1000 to get into a decent kit and start taking photos.
    A camera guy wishing he was a photographer.

www.ryancochran.me

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Mamiya C330 with waist-level finder and a 65mm or 80mm lens (black) - from KEH will get you under your target price.

Mine has been serving me well since I bought it from store stock in or about 1976.
    I will check those out for sure. Thanks!

www.ryancochran.me

Shooter
    35mm

Only you

You are the only person who can say which camera would suit yourself. I would not deem to suggest the best hound dog or spouse for somebody else. All the cameras mentioned are fine. You need to rent/borrow/beg some cameras and try them out. I worked for a publisher that provided all of their photogs with a 'Blad, three lenses and two film backs. Nice camera but limited. Lousy for fast shooting. Fine lenses but $$$$$. Not very robust when used in the field. A hothouse (studio) camera IMO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everybody needs a 6x6. Personally, I'm a fan of TLRs, but there do seem to be people who don't like them---I think mostly because of the reversal in the WLF, or the inconvenience of long-lens arrangements. As plenty of other people have pointed out, you can try out a decent one in the Rolleicord or Autocord class fairly cheaply, but it isn't all *that* expensive---though over your current budget---to get into a Rolleiflex, which will stand up to any MF system on the planet for image quality.

It basically confines you to a normal lens, and you probably already know whether that would be acceptable or not. To my taste it's a feature.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Mamiya c330 TLR a poor mans down payment on a blad, better quality, even if it is not as twee.
    I traded in my Mamiya C330 and all the lenses as well as every gadget ever made for it for a Hasselblad. I never looked back.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you ignore everything else only the Mamiyas and Autocords (a few of the backs and old folders) have straight run film paths.

So a contorted path camera is ok in a warm studio where you are loading, shooting and reloading or you will have to dump the wrinkled frame.

More critical with lens wide open... than at Medium apertures.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm very much a one camera, one lens sort of guy. In fact, I only own two lenses... A 35mm lux and a 90mm el marit. The 35 is mounted 95% of the time... So maybe a TLR is something I should look at.

I assume the the folders from the 1950s are pretty far behind the standards of most?

www.ryancochran.me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    I'm very much a one camera, one lens sort of guy. In fact, I only own two lenses... A 35mm lux and a 90mm el marit. The 35 is mounted 95% of the time... So maybe a TLR is something I should look at.

I assume the the folders from the 1950s are pretty far behind the standards of most?
    I was actually very impressed with my Agfa Isolette. More impressed when you factor in what I paid-- $45.

Scale focusing is kind of a pain. The Super Isolette or Ansco Super Speededx have rangefinder focusing, and a slightly nicer lens. They go for a decent chunk of change more, though.

The Agfa Isolette was enough for me to realize I didn't want squares all the time, but gave me some awesome images in the meantime.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin