Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,921   Posts: 1,556,570   Online: 1242

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd agree with most of the advice given here. Hassys are great if your budget allows, the cost for additional lenses and accessories is high. Bronica SQ gives you 95% of what the Hassy does, much less expensive and very versatile. Not very light or small, considering you're only shooting 6x6, but great for portraits, landscapes, close-up, or if you like to use wide or long lenses. The first time you trip the shutter, the mirror slap is a bit of a shock, though. I've had an SQ-A for over 10 years and have had zero problems - the low prices have allowed me to amass a considerable amount of gear

Rolleis are great, and deserve their reputation. Surprisingly small and light and the lenses are excellent. Most folks don't seem to have a problem transitioning to waist-level viewing, and they are very quiet. I use mine for a lot of street photography. A Rolleicord or Rolleiflex Automat in excellent condition will easily come under your budget. I'm sure a clean Yashicamat or Minolta Autocord will also be good options. I had a Mamiya C33 and C220, but found them too heavy and bulky for my taste. Big benefit is interchangeable lenses and they are built like tanks.

Another type to consider is a rangefinder. A Zeiss Super Ikonta B or, other folder in good condition, is a great shooter and will fall within your budget. Check out Jurgen's site at http://www.certo6.com/ - he services and sells all types of folding cameras and recently did a total overhaul of my 1939 Super Ikonta B. Cosmetically it's almost mint, but had been sitting unused for several decades. Once it was serviced, it's now working like new. Try to look for a post-war model as the pre-war ones had uncoated lenses, so flare is more of a concern. Also the build quality is outstanding - easily the equal of any Leicas.

With any of the above, or almost any medium-format film camera, you'll be happy with the bigger negatives/transparencies. You may need to try several types of cameras before deciding what you're comfortable with and what suits your style.

Good Luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a TLR, less to fiddle with, great picture takers. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    I'm very much a one camera, one lens sort of guy. In fact, I only own two lenses... A 35mm lux and a 90mm el marit. The 35 is mounted 95% of the time... So maybe a TLR is something I should look at.

I assume the the folders from the 1950s are pretty far behind the standards of most?
    I can only speak for the Zeiss Super Ikontas, but with a clean VF/RF it's really nice to use, the Zeiss lenses are excellent and it folds up nice and compact. Not really "pocketable" unless you wear a trenchcoat. The build quality is outstanding and the Zeiss folders seem to have fewer problems with holes and light leaks from the bellows as do other makes. Sure, the VF/RF is not going to be in the same class as a Leica M, but if it's clean and adjusted it's worlds better than any screwmount Leica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rolleiflex automat. I use it more than anything the past year or so. Yashica makes a good TLR as well; a little lighter than a rollei. The Rollei is way lighter and quieter than a "system" camera. If you photograph people (like street or environmental portraits), they will dig it. If you want head and shoulders portraits or macro, save for the MF SLR like hassy, bronica, etc...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Oh, and ironically... I do work for Nat Geo. How about them apples?

(I literally did "lol" ...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since Ryan is using Leica M for most of his work I assume he is more into a silent and unobtrusive type of camera. I think a TLR would do fine. Maybe a Rolleiflex with a 75/3,5 Planar? Or a Rolleiflex T?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    I suggest trying a rolleicord tlr with an upgraded viewing screen.

Or a Perkeo ll if a folder is more your style.
    + for the Perkeo II, take it anywhere in a jacket pocket!

Remarkable camera with a fine lens.

Use the human rangefinder and keep your luggage to a minimum. http://tomchuk.com/misc/rf/

Alternatively, for similar money (but harder to find) a Mamiya-6 folding camera is a fine tool. Range finder, a film plane where the film is held super flat, Olympus Zuiko lenses, built like a tank it is a bit heavier and slightly bigger than the Perkeo II but it's another fine camera that might be better for you if you like your current rangefinder camera.

RR
    Last edited by Regular Rod; 03-02-2014 at 03:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well adding a TLR to your rangefinder and you've got the basic kit of many 1950s PJs, good company. OTOH a Mamiya 6 would seem very familiar, but sits outside the budget by a bit. Maybe you could borrow some stuff and see what feels right?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What are you making up for here exactly? Are you short or something? Bad job maybe? Didn't make it where you felt you should?

In any case, don't sweat it... I won't judge you for having judged me. It's just not in my nature.

Oh, and ironically... I do work for Nat Geo. How about them apples?

To the rest of you, thanks so much for the help. With my 35mm negs, I both scan them for web use and use my Focomat IC (35mm only enlarger) to make prints. I take photos for both work and pleasure. The work stuff is mostly with the M9 and sometimes with scanned negs. The pleasure stuff is mostly film these days. I figured if I really liked working with the 6x6 neg, I'd sell the IC and get a more flexible enlarger.

I think the 500C is probably what I really want, but I just don't have the budget for it right now. From what I can tell, it takes $1000 to get into a decent kit and start taking photos.
    Nice one

RR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for Jurgen and a folder.

I bought an Agfa Isolette III from him last year. He completely reconditioned it (including new bellows) and it looks/performs like new. Beautiful camera.

Easy and light to carry, I've found it to be a perfect companion to my far less portable RB67.

In truth, I'm probably more a fan of the 6x7 format of the RB than the square format of the Agfa, but I shoot both and enjoy both.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin