Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,043   Online: 775

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    Oh, and ironically... I do work for Nat Geo.
    But what department?

Just dropped yer name by the Editor at Large who is a friend of mine, he had never heard of him, lol!

Get a 500CM, best camera system I have ever used and I shoot for a living...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-02-2014 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post

(I literally did "lol" ...)
    Yep - there's something not quite right with this whole thread.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I couldn't tell you who the editor of the magazine is either... And given the current state of affairs, I don't think he's gonna have gig that much longer. Sad really, but paper publication is going away and National Geographic isn't gonna be spared. Not unless the suits can figure out a way to raise margins and change the dynamic of the game.

I've done work for a number of different departments at NatGeo. I'm a writer, but I've also done some interactive/community based consulting work for them. It's a fantastic company.

In any case, I'm gonna start checking out TRLs now. Thanks guys!
    A camera guy wishing he was a photographer.

www.ryancochran.me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was in a similar position and spent months obsessively analyzing the scene... Hasselblad really does it for me. I absolutely love everything I've seen and touched there the most... But knowing that I am not going to switch to majoring in film and minoring in digital any time soon, I couldn't justify doing whatever I would need to do to get into a Hasselblad rig (which would involve needing to sell off digital gear for sure). I eventually decided to start out spending as little as possible to get in the game and ended up with a TLR (124G) that only set me back about $170... I've only made my way through one roll of film since I got the camera a couple months ago, so I know I made the right choice for me. I do hope to own a Hassy someday, but I like the feeling that I don't have to be in a hurry to get there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The thing with a Hasselblad isn't the basic setup. It's when you go to buy a second or third lens. Those older Zeiss lenses continue to command top dollar.

I was out today with a Super Ikonta B (532/16), and it reminded me of how much I enjoy shooting this camera. This camera uses the Zeiss Ikon rotating wedge-prism rangefinder. It almost never falls out of calibration, because there aren't any prisms or mirrors to knock off their mounts. All older cameras should be serviced, if they haven't been serviced.

Having used both a Rolleicord and a Rolleiflex, I would go with the Rolleiflex as being more comfortable to use. For the stated budget, a very good Rolleiflex Automat with a coated Xenar or Tessar is well within reach.

I think the Rolleiflex T is a cult camera that is not deserving of its lofty price.

But there are so many choices out there that you could easily buy a camera, try it, and if it doesn't feel right, you can sell it for the same price. After all, these are all used cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    The thing with a Hasselblad isn't the basic setup. It's when you go to buy a second or third lens. Those older Zeiss lenses continue to command top dollar.
    How so?

C lenses are super cheap now, that is what you meant by classic, right? CF lenses have come down a lot too, you can get the 50FLE, 100 CF and 180 CF for $600-$700 if you try, filthy-dirt cheap.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I guess affordable is relative to your economic situation. For me, $600 is still a sizable amount of money. Relative to their original cost, yes, it's cheap.

I did make a mistake in using the term "top dollar." I should have said they they are still costly - again, depending on what each of us consider costly and "super cheap."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    What will you do with 6x6 negatives ? Scan or print ? Do you have a suitable enlarger ? What is your enlarger lens ? What is your paper and paper developer ? How do you like to develop your films ? Do you know the difference of lenses characteristics of different brands , schools ?
    M7 and M9 in 6 months ? I bet you can hire a national geographic team to shoot for you at amazon or deep africa ! I bet you will dislike your hasselblad in next month and turn to iphone.

Looks like someone forgot to take his medication!
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get a Bronica S2a, robust, cheap lenses and accessories, good IQ.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Hasselblad is the only complete system. Further there are new and used parts easily available. Service is available and easily accessed. None other compare. End of story.
    Bronica made a good system. Hasselblad themselves pissed on their own legacy when they abandoned the square format in favor of 645 with digital.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin