Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,219   Online: 986

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I guess affordable is relative to your economic situation. For me, $600 is still a sizable amount of money. Relative to their original cost, yes, it's cheap.
    The most I have ever paid for a second hand camera is £20.00 (about $30.00-ish) - and I still haven't mentioned it to Bestbeloved!. You cannot really advise on these questions without knowing a lot about the questioner's finances. If I was interested in 6x6, I would buy a £10.00 folder (Zeiss Ikon Nettar was my first) and see how I liked the pictures compared to those from my other cameras. I would worry about a Hasselblad when I was taking 6x6 most of the time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    I'm very much a one camera, one lens sort of guy. In fact, I only own two lenses... A 35mm lux and a 90mm el marit. The 35 is mounted 95% of the time... So maybe a TLR is something I should look at.

I assume the the folders from the 1950s are pretty far behind the standards of most?
    I have an Ansco Super Speedex (Agfa Super Issolette for the US market). I really like the Ansco. It's small, so I take it with me a lot. It's sharp, and the lens has a very nice "classic" rendering that my other systems don't have. It also has a coupled range finder so you can actually control the focus, which I find difficult with the zone focused folders.

I also have a Hasselblad system, which is also great. But it's much to big to be a daily carry camera. I wouldn't want to be without either camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I have an Ansco Super Speedex (Agfa Super Issolette for the US market).
    So have I. Mine is the Special R model which makes it the same as an Isolette III with an uncoupled rangefinder.

I can't fault it on anything.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    What will you do with 6x6 negatives ? Scan or print ? Do you have a suitable enlarger ? What is your enlarger lens ? What is your paper and paper developer ? How do you like to develop your films ? Do you know the difference of lenses characteristics of different brands , schools ?
    M7 and M9 in 6 months ? I bet you can hire a national geographic team to shoot for you at amazon or deep africa ! I bet you will dislike your hasselblad in next month and turn to iphone.
    Take it easy or we will have to send those guys in white coats who will put you in your personal straight jacket and place you in a padded room.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The earlier Yashica TLRs are economical and capable of recording decent images. The 124 Yashicas offer more of a gain in status than in image quality. After using one a while, a photographer should know what features the 2nd 6x6 should have, and have money left over to buy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lol!

The guy says his most used lens is a Leica 35mm 1.4 ASPH and yet people are on here recommending cheap-ass garage sale classics for $10. Unless you have used an M 35mm 1.4 ASPH for a length of time, you have no idea what a spectacular negative or slide this now $3,000 used lens produces, I had one for 3 years before I sold off most of my Leica gear in favor of my Hasselblad stuff. I do have one M3 and a 50 Lux left, all the Leica I need.

I'm not saying it is all about the camera, but if you intend to compete in Formula One, you don't show up in a restored 1965 Ferrari.

If one wants to *really* experience the jump in image quality from 35 to 120, then put the glass first, especially coming from Leica folks. If hooked, he can do more research and pick the camera or system that works best for him.

My wife and I are going to be traveling abroad for three weeks next year. I could bring my Nikons, the Leica M3 with the Xpan, Hassy or 4x5. I am bringing a 501CM with a 60 and 100 and two backs, I daily carry a 501CM all the time, at least a few times a week, it's not much bigger than an SLR and it is a joy to use, great self promotion too.

It's all relative I guess....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-03-2014 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Lol!

The guy says his most used lens is a Leica 35mm 1.4 ASPH and yet people are on here recommending cheap-ass garage sale classics for $10. Unless you have used an M 35mm 1.4 ASPH for a length of time, you have no idea what a spectacular negative or slide this now $3,000 used lens produces, I had one for 3 years before I sold off most of my Leica gear in favor of my Hasselblad stuff. I do have one M3 and a 50 Lux left, all the Leica I need.

I'm not saying it is all about the camera, but if you intend to compete in Formula One, you don't show up in a restored 1965 Ferrari.
    Nicely served. When one has used high quality equipment for years, then that person will not be interested in lower quality equipment when going to a larger [or smaller] format.

No everyone here is on a tight budget, neither is everyone loaded with money. It is a good idea to read and absorb what each OP posts before passing on your own agenda.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My wife and I are going to be traveling abroad for three weeks next year. I could bring my Nikons, the Leica M3 with the Xpan, Hassy or 4x5. I am bringing a 501CM with a 60 and 100 and two backs, I daily carry a 501CM all the time, at least a few times a week, it's not much bigger than an SLR and it is a joy to use, great self promotion too.

It's all relative I guess....
    Where are you going?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Where are you going?
    Not sure yet, she has 12 weeks of vacation saved up so I am really bugging her to take it. We will probably pick one place and hang out as we both like to get to know the place and people more than just skin deep...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lol!

The guy says his most used lens is a Leica 35mm 1.4 ASPH and yet people are on here recommending cheap-ass garage sale classics for $10.
    Yeah, but he also quoted a budget that sounds a bit tight for top-grade medium format---he can get a damn good camera for US$500, but he won't get a Planar 'flex or a Mamiya 7. And for some of us who *do* have top-grade MF stuff, it still shares time with "cheap-ass garage sale classics".

That said, I wouldn't really suggest a scale-focus folder here either. A good RF folder, sure, but that's out of the US$10 arena unless you happen to pick the right garage sale.

If the OP intends to *compete* with his Leica gear, I hope he's planning to spend more than US$500. But he specifically said "not necessarily better" and sounds like he's looking to try out the format, not to switch systems in search of better image quality.

I bet a hat there are plenty of F1 drivers who have a great time messing around with restored 1965 Ferraris, even though they wouldn't be competitive cars in their day jobs.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin