Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,496   Online: 1012

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Yeah, but he also quoted a budget that sounds a bit tight for top-grade medium format---he can get a damn good camera for US$500, but he won't get a Planar 'flex or a Mamiya 7. And for some of us who *do* have top-grade MF stuff, it still shares time with "cheap-ass garage sale classics".

That said, I wouldn't really suggest a scale-focus folder here either. A good RF folder, sure, but that's out of the US$10 arena unless you happen to pick the right garage sale.

If the OP intends to *compete* with his Leica gear, I hope he's planning to spend more than US$500. But he specifically said "not necessarily better" and sounds like he's looking to try out the format, not to switch systems in search of better image quality.

I bet a hat there are plenty of F1 drivers who have a great time messing around with restored 1965 Ferraris, even though they wouldn't be competitive cars in their day jobs.
    Totally agree, but I know from experience what he is likely to want to see coming from that Leica glass, so he should maybe get a nice TLR with a stunner for a lens and give it a whirl. Or, up the budget to around $750-$800 and snag a decent 500CM/80/A12, worst thing that could happen is that he bails and sells it for roughly the same.

I have a friend who has a nice Ferrari collection, probably worth around 2 mil, he has a restored 1965 Ferrari convertible...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-03-2014 at 12:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Not sure yet, she has 12 weeks of vacation saved up so I am really bugging her to take it. We will probably pick one place and hang out as we both like to get to know the place and people more than just skin deep...
    Give me a shout if Shanghai is on your itinerary!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    Give me a shout if Shanghai is on your itinerary!
    Shanghai would be awesome, I will definitely PM you if we head that way..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ryan,

For your budget, a lot depends on how you process your negatives and whether you are married to the idea of square format MF. If you are printing in a darkroom with a decent enlarger lens, the jump to MF from 35mm will probably be significant, even a relatively cheap and cheerful MF camera with a decent lens compared to your Leica, just due to the size advantage and lesser degree of enlargement. If you scan, however, there is the question of flatbed vs. film scanner. It's really hard to find film scanners for MF vs. 35mm. A dedicated 35mm scanner will outresolve a flatbed, lessening the MF advantage in terms of resolution, although the finer grain will still show itself. If you are stuck with a flatbed, the biggest negative wins, and you will see a distinct improvement with MF, and preferably 6x7 size is the way to go.

For your budget, you can get a pretty good Yashica, Minolta or Rolleicord TLR if a normal lens is enough. If you want interchangeable and square, Bronica SQ-A will do it. If you are not married to the square format, the field opens up with Bronica, Pentax and Mamiya all offering good 645 format systems, which are very complete. Fuji has some 645 rangefinders that might fit your budget. Hasselblads and 67 format SLRs and rangefinders won't fit your budget.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Lol!

The guy says his most used lens is a Leica 35mm 1.4 ASPH and yet people are on here recommending cheap-ass garage sale classics for $10. Unless you have used an M 35mm 1.4 ASPH for a length of time, you have no idea what a spectacular negative or slide this now $3,000 used lens produces, I had one for 3 years before I sold off most of my Leica gear in favor of my Hasselblad stuff. I do have one M3 and a 50 Lux left, all the Leica I need.

I'm not saying it is all about the camera, but if you intend to compete in Formula One, you don't show up in a restored 1965 Ferrari.

If one wants to *really* experience the jump in image quality from 35 to 120, then put the glass first, especially coming from Leica folks. If hooked, he can do more research and pick the camera or system that works best for him.

My wife and I are going to be traveling abroad for three weeks next year. I could bring my Nikons, the Leica M3 with the Xpan, Hassy or 4x5. I am bringing a 501CM with a 60 and 100 and two backs, I daily carry a 501CM all the time, at least a few times a week, it's not much bigger than an SLR and it is a joy to use, great self promotion too.

It's all relative I guess....
    I recommended the Ansco Super Speedex mainly because of it's superb image quality in a nice coat pocketable package. It also generally comes in under the stated budget by $100. So what if it's older than the 1965 Ferrari I don't know if you were referring to this recommendation in particular, but I want to put out there that I think the quality of the images are on par with what I get from my Hasselblad. It's certainly not as flexible as a system camera, but it's also a lot more portable. Because of that I don't feel silly walking around a grocery store or hospital carrying it, whereas I don't usually bring any camera that requires a bag on non photo related trips.

You may want to pick up one for your trip abroad to supplement the Hasselblad

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got several of the cameras I've seen recommended above: The C330, a Rollei ('flex, in my case), a Super Ikonta, and a Bronica S2. All are quality kit, but I have to suspect that if Ryan is coming from the Leica M system, he'll find the C330 (C220, etc.) and the S2 far too huge, and the S2 too noisy. The Super Ikonta seems a better match--small (for MF), quiet, and elegant, like a Leica; and the RF & VF are surprisingly clear and non-squinty for a 1937ish camera. Mine is a 6x9, but the 6x6 is the same idea. Quite good ones can be had under $500. The Rollei TLRs would be somewhere in the middle -- less small/pocketable than a folder, but not huge, and still quiet. I'd highly recommend a 'flex, but I'm trying to respect Ryan's price range, which will exclude many 'flexen; and I'm just unfamiliar with the 'cords.

--Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There have been some really rude and vicious pile-ons in this thread to what seemed to me a fairly innocuous response early on. Also, this site spans across a world of languages and cultures. Just my opinion and observation, but it shocked me and I find them to be insulting and revolting. I think some apologies are in order. I hope I'm not next. I'm almost sorry I kept reading through this thread.

It seems mean to me, anyway, just my personal reaction, which, as always could be wrong. I would never see this kind of behavior on the arborist site, where I am a member.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To throw in my two pennies, for 6x6 just starting out I'd definitely recommend a TLR, and with a ~500 budget, Rolleis are certainly within reach. I love my automat, and didnt spend much over 200 for it. It's beat up, but the glass is fantastic and I am always surprised with the results. I shot part of my friend's wedding with it, and when I processed the negatives I was taken aback. Another thing to consider is TLRs tend to be light and easy to use. Just a warning, with any TLR, I'd make sure to check that the focus is in sync for both the taking and viewing, and with regards to older Rolleis, definitely get a replacement focusing screen. You may lose contrast moving to a fresnel lens, but the original ground glass can be dim sometimes.
    saffron-studio.tumblr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    There have been some really rude and vicious pile-ons in this thread to what seemed to me a fairly innocuous response early on. Also, this site spans across a world of languages and cultures. Just my opinion and observation, but it shocked me and I find them to be insulting and revolting. I think some apologies are in order. I hope I'm not next. I'm almost sorry I kept reading through this thread.

It seems mean to me, anyway, just my personal reaction, which, as always could be wrong. I would never see this kind of behavior on the arborist site, where I am a member.
    Jeff

So, are you saying the arborist site is boring, dull, or?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    So, are you saying the arborist site is boring, dull, or?
    No, it's anything but. I'm just saying in this case the OP threw some red meat in the ring, and the only person who called him on it got lambasted. I guess it's all in good fun. Sorry for the interruption.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin