Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,334   Posts: 1,682,075   Online: 947

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got several of the cameras I've seen recommended above: The C330, a Rollei ('flex, in my case), a Super Ikonta, and a Bronica S2. All are quality kit, but I have to suspect that if Ryan is coming from the Leica M system, he'll find the C330 (C220, etc.) and the S2 far too huge, and the S2 too noisy. The Super Ikonta seems a better match--small (for MF), quiet, and elegant, like a Leica; and the RF & VF are surprisingly clear and non-squinty for a 1937ish camera. Mine is a 6x9, but the 6x6 is the same idea. Quite good ones can be had under $500. The Rollei TLRs would be somewhere in the middle -- less small/pocketable than a folder, but not huge, and still quiet. I'd highly recommend a 'flex, but I'm trying to respect Ryan's price range, which will exclude many 'flexen; and I'm just unfamiliar with the 'cords.

--Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There have been some really rude and vicious pile-ons in this thread to what seemed to me a fairly innocuous response early on. Also, this site spans across a world of languages and cultures. Just my opinion and observation, but it shocked me and I find them to be insulting and revolting. I think some apologies are in order. I hope I'm not next. I'm almost sorry I kept reading through this thread.

It seems mean to me, anyway, just my personal reaction, which, as always could be wrong. I would never see this kind of behavior on the arborist site, where I am a member.
    Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    To throw in my two pennies, for 6x6 just starting out I'd definitely recommend a TLR, and with a ~500 budget, Rolleis are certainly within reach. I love my automat, and didnt spend much over 200 for it. It's beat up, but the glass is fantastic and I am always surprised with the results. I shot part of my friend's wedding with it, and when I processed the negatives I was taken aback. Another thing to consider is TLRs tend to be light and easy to use. Just a warning, with any TLR, I'd make sure to check that the focus is in sync for both the taking and viewing, and with regards to older Rolleis, definitely get a replacement focusing screen. You may lose contrast moving to a fresnel lens, but the original ground glass can be dim sometimes.
    saffron-studio.tumblr.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    There have been some really rude and vicious pile-ons in this thread to what seemed to me a fairly innocuous response early on. Also, this site spans across a world of languages and cultures. Just my opinion and observation, but it shocked me and I find them to be insulting and revolting. I think some apologies are in order. I hope I'm not next. I'm almost sorry I kept reading through this thread.

It seems mean to me, anyway, just my personal reaction, which, as always could be wrong. I would never see this kind of behavior on the arborist site, where I am a member.
    Jeff

So, are you saying the arborist site is boring, dull, or?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    So, are you saying the arborist site is boring, dull, or?
    No, it's anything but. I'm just saying in this case the OP threw some red meat in the ring, and the only person who called him on it got lambasted. I guess it's all in good fun. Sorry for the interruption.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    No, it's anything but. I'm just saying in this case the OP threw some red meat in the ring, and the only person who called him on it got lambasted. I guess it's all in good fun. Sorry for the interruption.
    I did nothing of the sort. I simply stated that I owned a Leica... And from that, it was assumed that I was some kind of coat tail rider by another user. He got some flack for it... Deservedly so in my opinion, but at the end of the day I'm not offended by something typed on a camera forum. Why in the world would you be?

Man... Internet drama is annoying.

Anyway, as it stands I'm going to go shoot a couple of the mentioned folders as well as a Rolleiflex this weekend in an effort to see what feels right. Bought the film today. I'm excited!

My buddy is also bringing his 500c kit. I'm really hoping I don't take to it. In fact, I don't want to even pick it up in fear it will start a new obsession.
    A camera guy wishing he was a photographer.

www.ryancochran.me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're fortunate to be able to try out the different camera types before making a purchase.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Openly biased and unabashedly
    pro film and wet darkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, the person who got lambasted frequently makes insipid posts about nothing else is as good as a Leica and infers that if you choose anything other than Leica, you must somehow be mentally defective.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    I did nothing of the sort. I simply stated that I owned a Leica... And from that, it was assumed that I was some kind of coat tail rider by another user. He got some flack for it... Deservedly so in my opinion, but at the end of the day I'm not offended by something typed on a camera forum. Why in the world would you be?

Man... Internet drama is annoying.

Anyway, as it stands I'm going to go shoot a couple of the mentioned folders as well as a Rolleiflex this weekend in an effort to see what feels right. Bought the film today. I'm excited!

My buddy is also bringing his 500c kit. I'm really hoping I don't take to it. In fact, I don't want to even pick it up in fear it will start a new obsession.
    You are lucky to be able to try out so many cameras. I just do t know many people locally with interesting stuff to borrow.

Make sure to bring a light meter. Most of the cameras you are testing don't have one built in.

Don't worry about taking to the Hasselblad. The cameras are nice, and a nice set of three lenses isn't that much money. And if you stop using it they seem to hold their value very well. One other thing, the 500c may have an older focus screen. The newer Acute matte screens are brighter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-14 029.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	83753I think I've posted this pic before. Three of my favorite folders. 1. Franka Solida ll, 6X6. 2. Agfa Isolette "L" for Built in light meter, has Voigtlander Rangefinder on top, 6X6. 3. Is a Roamer ll 6X9. All three take great pics. There are lots of nice folders available out there. Jurgen Kreckle of certo6.com sells some nicely restored and CLA'd folders. You pay a little more, but knowing you don't have light leak problems or poor operation goes a long way in my book. None of the above will set you back an arm and a leg in order to have a lot of fun.
    Just my 2 bits,
    Last edited by 2bits; 03-06-2014 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin