Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,099   Online: 990

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    No, it's anything but. I'm just saying in this case the OP threw some red meat in the ring, and the only person who called him on it got lambasted. I guess it's all in good fun. Sorry for the interruption.
    I did nothing of the sort. I simply stated that I owned a Leica... And from that, it was assumed that I was some kind of coat tail rider by another user. He got some flack for it... Deservedly so in my opinion, but at the end of the day I'm not offended by something typed on a camera forum. Why in the world would you be?

Man... Internet drama is annoying.

Anyway, as it stands I'm going to go shoot a couple of the mentioned folders as well as a Rolleiflex this weekend in an effort to see what feels right. Bought the film today. I'm excited!

My buddy is also bringing his 500c kit. I'm really hoping I don't take to it. In fact, I don't want to even pick it up in fear it will start a new obsession.
    A camera guy wishing he was a photographer.

www.ryancochran.me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You're fortunate to be able to try out the different camera types before making a purchase.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jstout View Post
    No, it's anything but. I'm just saying in this case the OP threw some red meat in the ring, and the only person who called him on it got lambasted. I guess it's all in good fun. Sorry for the interruption.
    Actually, the person who got lambasted frequently makes insipid posts about nothing else is as good as a Leica and infers that if you choose anything other than Leica, you must somehow be mentally defective.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    I did nothing of the sort. I simply stated that I owned a Leica... And from that, it was assumed that I was some kind of coat tail rider by another user. He got some flack for it... Deservedly so in my opinion, but at the end of the day I'm not offended by something typed on a camera forum. Why in the world would you be?

Man... Internet drama is annoying.

Anyway, as it stands I'm going to go shoot a couple of the mentioned folders as well as a Rolleiflex this weekend in an effort to see what feels right. Bought the film today. I'm excited!

My buddy is also bringing his 500c kit. I'm really hoping I don't take to it. In fact, I don't want to even pick it up in fear it will start a new obsession.
    You are lucky to be able to try out so many cameras. I just do t know many people locally with interesting stuff to borrow.

Make sure to bring a light meter. Most of the cameras you are testing don't have one built in.

Don't worry about taking to the Hasselblad. The cameras are nice, and a nice set of three lenses isn't that much money. And if you stop using it they seem to hold their value very well. One other thing, the 500c may have an older focus screen. The newer Acute matte screens are brighter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12-14 029.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	83753I think I've posted this pic before. Three of my favorite folders. 1. Franka Solida ll, 6X6. 2. Agfa Isolette "L" for Built in light meter, has Voigtlander Rangefinder on top, 6X6. 3. Is a Roamer ll 6X9. All three take great pics. There are lots of nice folders available out there. Jurgen Kreckle of certo6.com sells some nicely restored and CLA'd folders. You pay a little more, but knowing you don't have light leak problems or poor operation goes a long way in my book. None of the above will set you back an arm and a leg in order to have a lot of fun.
    Just my 2 bits,
    Last edited by 2bits; 03-06-2014 at 02:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I recommended the Ansco Super Speedex mainly because of it's superb image quality in a nice coat pocketable package. It also generally comes in under the stated budget by $100. So what if it's older than the 1965 Ferrari I don't know if you were referring to this recommendation in particular, but I want to put out there that I think the quality of the images are on par with what I get from my Hasselblad. It's certainly not as flexible as a system camera, but it's also a lot more portable. Because of that I don't feel silly walking around a grocery store or hospital carrying it, whereas I don't usually bring any camera that requires a bag on non photo related trips.

You may want to pick up one for your trip abroad to supplement the Hasselblad
    Alright, you win, I'll give it a try, mailed out the check to Jurgen for this one today, twas not cheap...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You bought the Agfa? Looks very nice. How much was it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Excellent choice. Now, a word to the wise, from time to time experiment with a tripod, small aperture settings and longer exposures (where appropriate), you will be amazed what a Solinar lens is capable of.

We'll have you on here again soon asking about LF!

RR

Shooter
    35mm RF
    So I shot all day yesterday with a number of folders, a Rollieflex TLR, and a 500C. I learned the following:

1. I played around with three different folders. The only one I took to was the Super Isolette. I learned I have no interest in any camera with an uncoupled rangefinder. The coupled rangefinder on the SI made the camera usable for me. I liked the SI and it was totally usable, but not sure I would ever bond with it.

2. I liked the Rollieflex a lot. Really simple. This was a 2.8C with a 80mm 2.8 lens. I think I could bond with this one...

3. The 500C was simply glorious. I could learn to love that camera. Seriously. It feels almost as good as a Leica M and it made me want to take pictures. If I start to really enjoy the 6x6 format, I will get one of these with an 80mm and call it done.

As it stands, I think I'm gonna look for a nice Rollieflex in my budget. Once found, I'll shoot with it for a year. If I find that I really like medium format, I'll jump to a 500C.

Thank you guys so much for the help.
    A camera guy wishing he was a photographer.

www.ryancochran.me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    You bought the Agfa? Looks very nice. How much was it?
    Let's just say it was over Ryan's budget....

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Excellent choice. Now, a word to the wise, from time to time experiment with a tripod, small aperture settings and longer exposures (where appropriate), you will be amazed what a Solinar lens is capable of.

We'll have you on here again soon asking about LF!
    Nah, not much for experimenting, I use tripods all the time, so they get deployed as tools when needed. I'll run one test roll through it and then it goes to work producing images that count...

As far as LF, you might want to peruse some of the images I have uploaded, I own a fairly comprehensive Chamonix based 4x5 system...;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    I played around with three different folders. The only one I took to was the Super Isolette. I learned I have no interest in any camera with an uncoupled rangefinder. The coupled rangefinder on the SI made the camera usable for me. I liked the SI and it was totally usable, but not sure I would ever bond with it.
    Since the camera will not fire without film in it, I assume you shot at least a roll? So with that, how did it handle in regards to steps to make the shot, how did both the view finder and RF patch compare to a Leica M? I suspect this camera will be able to live in my small RF bag with my M3 and Xpan, the bag being an Artisian & Artist Oskar One Day, love it for travel...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-08-2014 at 11:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin