Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,751   Online: 944

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    ...Nah, not much for experimenting, I use tripods all the time, so they get deployed as tools when needed. I'll run one test roll through it and then it goes to work producing images that count...

As far as LF, you might want to peruse some of the images I have uploaded, I own a fairly comprehensive Chamonix based 4x5 system...;-)
    Ah! My bad. I mixed your post up with OP!

RR

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Let's just say it was over Ryan's budget....

Nah, not much for experimenting, I use tripods all the time, so they get deployed as tools when needed. I'll run one test roll through it and then it goes to work producing images that count...

As far as LF, you might want to peruse some of the images I have uploaded, I own a fairly comprehensive Chamonix based 4x5 system...;-)

Since the camera will not fire without film in it, I assume you shot at least a roll? So with that, how did it handle in regards to steps to make the shot, how did both the view finder and RF patch compare to a Leica M? I suspect this camera will be able to live in my small RF bag with my M3 and Xpan, the bag being an Artisian & Artist Oskar One Day, love it for travel...
    Yes, I shot the last three exposures on my buddy's camera. It's a much slower camera than a Leica M. I don't know how else to express it... The rangefinder is actually really good, but not in the same league as a Leica - obviously. It's smaller and not as bright.

What I took away from it is how well it's made. That surprised me. Again, no Leica... But REALLY good.

I think it would be a perfect travel companion for an M actually...
    A camera guy wishing he was a photographer.

www.ryancochran.me

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
    So, I have been getting deeper and deeper into the world of film in the last 6 months. Starting with just casually shooting my film M as a companion to my M9 to now leaving the M9 at home most of the time and shooting film almost exclusively, developing it myself, and I've even set up a darkroom... Literally all in less than 6 months. Apparently, I'm sick.

Anyway, for some reason I can't explain or rationalize I now want to play around with an MF camera - more specifically something in the square 6x6 format.

I've got a budget of around $500. What would you guys suggest? Is there anything out there that I won't grow out of quickly and that can give me something (maybe not necessarily better) over my every day setup of an M7 with a 35mm ASPH Lux? I shoot Kodak Tri-x and Tmax 400 almost exclusively. I've never even so much as held a MF camera.

Ideas? Thoughts?
    your budget is adequateto get a well-treated used Hasselbladof the 500 series with a standard lens.start with that.You won't regret it and can build it up from there.It is the most flexible systemand the quality is a major step up from 35mm.Also many 35mm enlargers can also do 6x6
    all the best and elcome in the MF ,league.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    your budget is adequateto get a well-treated used Hasselbladof the 500 series with a standard lens.start with that.You won't regret it and can build it up from there.It is the most flexible systemand the quality is a major step up from 35mm.Also many 35mm enlargers can also do 6x6
    all the best and elcome in the MF ,league.
    If you see a clean 500 kit in the $500 range, let me know... I'd be all over that.

However, most I've seen go for over $1000 for a basic 500, back, and 80mm.
    A camera guy wishing he was a photographer.

www.ryancochran.me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    $500 budget in 6x6 gives a lot of options but from prices I've seen I agree the H 500 isn't likely to be one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    if you are considering a mf folder the zeiss icons are something else.
    they are in your price range, some are range some are coupled rf, their lens sets are something to desire either way.
    ive never been good at range focus which a lot of the folders tend to be
    so i opted for a olde mamiya post war folder (vi) and it was a great camera and lots of fun to use.
    in 3 years i probably put 2-300 rolls through it ... never had trouble it was my goto camera for a while ...

id read up on mr jurgen before buying anything from him, some folks ( like me for example )
    have not had stellar experiences with him, ( it seems we are the minority so maybe you'l be ok?)
    i wont get into the gory details and pollute hijack your thread, but others have had the exact same experience if you just search around a bit ....

lots of threads here on mf folders and tlrs
    it might be worth sticking MF folder or TLR in the searchbar to see what comes up

currently i have and use a 1933 rollicord and couldnt be happier ..
    except for the always having to look down part ..
    if you like your german glass a newish rollie might be what you want.
    they are silent, beautiful machines, like-a like-a- 6x6
    and the v's and vx's come up here in the classifieds often ...

have fun
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-09-2014 at 11:12 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    $500 budget in 6x6 gives a lot of options but from prices I've seen I agree the H 500 isn't likely to be one of them.
    It is rare, but it can be done. If you are willing to take a kit with the 150mm instead of the 80mm, you'll have better chances (every body wants the basic 80mm kit-- why is a mystery to me, if you want a normal 6x6 just get a TLR).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jspillane View Post
    It is rare, but it can be done. If you are willing to take a kit with the 150mm instead of the 80mm, you'll have better chances (every body wants the basic 80mm kit-- why is a mystery to me, if you want a normal 6x6 just get a TLR).
    If I were going to start with just one lens I'd want something close to normal. The advantage is being able to add other lenses later. Alternatively, maybe something a bit shorter than normal, like my 55m on my 645. I use it much more than my 150.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    smart decision,you won't regret it. welcome to the 500 club.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rollei is a complete system too and provides choice of Zeiss and schneider glass.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin