Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,587   Online: 898

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

I want a 6x6, but do I need one? And if so, which?

So, I have been getting deeper and deeper into the world of film in the last 6 months. Starting with just casually shooting my film M as a companion to my M9 to now leaving the M9 at home most of the time and shooting film almost exclusively, developing it myself, and I've even set up a darkroom... Literally all in less than 6 months. Apparently, I'm sick.

Anyway, for some reason I can't explain or rationalize I now want to play around with an MF camera - more specifically something in the square 6x6 format.

I've got a budget of around $500. What would you guys suggest? Is there anything out there that I won't grow out of quickly and that can give me something (maybe not necessarily better) over my every day setup of an M7 with a 35mm ASPH Lux? I shoot Kodak Tri-x and Tmax 400 almost exclusively. I've never even so much as held a MF camera.

Ideas? Thoughts?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hasselblad 500 or Bronica SQ. Both are modular, and you'll never outgrow them. $500 starting budget is reasonable for either, and you can expand both later.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What will you do with 6x6 negatives ? Scan or print ? Do you have a suitable enlarger ? What is your enlarger lens ? What is your paper and paper developer ? How do you like to develop your films ? Do you know the difference of lenses characteristics of different brands , schools ?
    M7 and M9 in 6 months ? I bet you can hire a national geographic team to shoot for you at amazon or deep africa ! I bet you will dislike your hasselblad in next month and turn to iphone.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad is the only complete system. Further there are new and used parts easily available. Service is available and easily accessed. None other compare. End of story.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Spend less that $200 on any of numerous tlr's and see what you think of the larger negative. A tlr isn't as versatile as a Hasselblad or a Bronica but each type has its own traits. Make sure you have an enlarger lens that brings out the best in the 6x6 negative.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Mamiya c330 TLR a poor mans down payment on a blad, better quality, even if it is not as twee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest trying a rolleicord tlr with an upgraded viewing screen.

Or a Perkeo ll if a folder is more your style.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with others that mention a TLR. Particularly a Mamiya which will give you a better choice of lenses. But TLRs are not as versatile as an SLR. for $500 you could get a bronica SQ-a with prism a back and two lenses. Look at KEH.com. If you had a larger budget I would recommend a hasselblad. One will last a lifetime. But for $500 you buy a used body and you won't have much left over for anything else, like a prism, back, and a lens. And hasselblad lenses are expensive if you're looking for the newer CF or T* lenses. You may be able to put something together reasonably if you look for an old 500c camera with the older C lenses. Choices, choices!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I highly doubt anyone could find a Hasselblad for $500 (unless it was broken and/or incomplete.) If so, I would have bought one or more a long time ago.

Perhaps a Rolleiflex Automat? They are quite numerous, not too expensive on the bay (compared to the f2.8 models), and take really good pictures.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IloveTLRs View Post
    I highly doubt anyone could find a Hasselblad for $500 (unless it was broken and/or incomplete.) If so, I would have bought one or more a long time ago.

Perhaps a Rolleiflex Automat? They are quite numerous, not too expensive on the bay (compared to the f2.8 models), and take really good pictures.
    $200 for a 500EL/M w/ WLF from KEH in EX condition. I was *this close* to snagging it, but can't justify having another MF system, nor can I justify the $$$$ of the lenses...
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin