Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,248   Online: 988

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Really? A 501cm is your daily carry? For how long now?
    Yup it's been a little over a year now. 501cm, PM5 prism, CZ 80mm 2.8, and A12 back. Wear it across my chest "purse" style. Keep in mind my previous daily carry was a Mamiya RZ67 for almost 2 years

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. There are different versions of the 50mm, is there a good resource that explains the differences? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on Google.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One thing to consider is the size of filters. According to a 1996 catalog I have, the Distagon CF 4/40 takes 93mm filters while the CF50 and CF60 take the 60mm filters as would the 80 and other lenses until you get up to the 350 and 500. I have a 50 that I am very pleased with but if you are looking for light weight it is 1lb 12oz and the 60 is only 4oz less. A wide strap is helpful.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    One thing to consider is the size of filters. According to a 1996 catalog I have, the Distagon CF 4/40 takes 93mm filters while the CF50 and CF60 take the 60mm filters as would the 80 and other lenses until you get up to the 350 and 500. I have a 50 that I am very pleased with but if you are looking for light weight it is 1lb 12oz and the 60 is only 4oz less. A wide strap is helpful.
    I have a great solution to the filter size of the 40, I made a post about it and have just included photos of the 40 FLE next to the 50 FLE:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/1...-40mm-fle.html

Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    There are different versions of the 50mm, is there a good resource that explains the differences?
    This site is a pretty good one for sussing it all out, but as far as I know the differences are the following:

1. 50mm C lens, non-T* coated, silver cosmetics, sharp at infinity but only decent at close range, not as good of coatings as later, parts are no longer made.

2. 50mm C lens, T* black cosmetics, same optical design as above, better coatings, still will have issues getting service due to shortage of parts.

3. 50mm CF lens, newer style and often preferred mechanics, same optical formula as above, T* coated, parts are much easier to find and for now are still made. Likely the best value if on a budget.

4. 50mm CF, CFi and CFE FLE, new optical design with a user selectable floating element resulting in much better close range correction, the least expensive version being the CF at $600-$800 depending on luck and condition.

Some have said that the focus action on the newer CFi and CFE lenses are easier to pull, but for most of us analog shooters, the 50 CF lenses, either the non-FLE or the FLE represent the best value. That's my take on it at least...
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-03-2014 at 01:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations. There are different versions of the 50mm, is there a good resource that explains the differences? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on Google.
    EDIT: I see PKM beat me to it with all the info there is, really!

Best place to learn about the technical differences between the different Hasselblad lenses:
    http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWLds.aspx

Other than the optical difference between the old 50mm and the FLE, the rest is pretty minor differences in body design. The older 50mm C lenses will all be non-FLE, weigh a little more, and takes 63mm drop-in filters (a little hard to find, I think, but some people find was to use 67mm filters). All the later versions will take B60 filters. The standard advice is to get the newest lens that fits your budget. The CF non-FLE's go for a lot less than the CF (FLE) lenses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want compact WA, get one of the SWCs If you want the 50, I have a mint CFi 50 FLE on sale in the classifieds. Just saying'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rawhead View Post
    If you want compact WA, get one of the SWCs If you want the 50, I have a mint CFi 50 FLE on sale in the classifieds. Just saying'
    I just love mint. Do you have any other flavors, like chocolate?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I just love mint. Do you have any other flavors, like chocolate?
    Don't have any chocolate, but I do have quite a few of fugly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin