Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,401   Online: 767

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya C330 Question

While browsing a used store here in Shanghai I found for sale a Mamiya C330 in like new condition. It was SHINY!! No scratches on the body, no rust or anything. The lens on it was either a 135mm or 180mm. I cant recall which but I know it was a serious telephoto, probably 180mm. The glass on these lenses were spectacularly clean.

The shop owner didnt speak English so I didnt ask the price. Yet I keep wondering, what would a camera like that be worth?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    While browsing a used store here in Shanghai I found for sale a Mamiya C330 in like new condition. It was SHINY!! No scratches on the body, no rust or anything. The lens on it was either a 135mm or 180mm. I cant recall which but I know it was a serious telephoto, probably 180mm. The glass on these lenses were spectacularly clean.

The shop owner didnt speak English so I didnt ask the price. Yet I keep wondering, what would a camera like that be worth?
    There are three versions of the C330 - the C330, the C330f and the C330s.

I've had a C330 since I bought it new in 1976 or so.

I'm currently using it with a 65mm and 135mm lens set. The standard lens is an 80mm lens.

The newer lenses are black. The older lenses are chrome. Both are good, but the chrome lenses have older coatings, and the Seiko shutters in each lens are harder to get parts for.

Here is a link for a huge amount of information about the system, maintained by Graham Patterson, who posts here on APUG: http://www.gapatterson.com/grahamp

And here is a link to KEH's Mamiya TLR page: http://www.keh.com/Camera/format-Med...de=MT&bco=534&

They have a C330 body with waist-level finder in EX condition for $265.00 USD. They have a selection of lenses as well.

A 135mm lens is a short telephoto. I really like mine.

The 180mm f/4.5 came in a couple different versions - the "Super" version is the most desirable.

As with a couple of other Mamiya TLR lenses, they came with chrome stiffener rings for the filter threads. Those rings are sometimes missing, leaving the filter rings susceptible to damage.

EDIT: this was shot with my C330 and the 135mm lens (IIRC)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Platform-05a-2013-04-18.jpg  
    Last edited by MattKing; 03-02-2014 at 11:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow...that's not expensive at all. I am certain that they are asking for more at this shop, even though I did not ask. $250 will buy you nothing in most places here.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    They are practical medium format cameras.
    For studio or field.
    lens changing is slow but film loading fast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I simple love my C330 Pro F. I have the 55/80/135 lenses, but primarily use the 55mm. Unbelieveable high acutance on these optics. My for some reason has stopped auto advancing the shutter making it a two step process, but it isn't too inconveninent.
    I currently live in TEDA near Tianjin which is about 40 min. by bullet train from Beijing. In Beijing I visited Wukesong - big (but unimpressive) camera market place. I think they go for around 2000 RMB. But condition and extras are really the determining factor here.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob View Post
    I simple love my C330 Pro F. I have the 55/80/135 lenses, but primarily use the 55mm. Unbelieveable high acutance on these optics. My for some reason has stopped auto advancing the shutter making it a two step process, but it isn't too inconveninent.
    I currently live in TEDA near Tianjin which is about 40 min. by bullet train from Beijing. In Beijing I visited Wukesong - big (but unimpressive) camera market place. I think they go for around 2000 RMB. But condition and extras are really the determining factor here.
    I was unimpressed with Wukesong too. Shanghai's camera market is much better.

I'll have to ask the price next time. Thing camera looked far too good to be that cheap. Of course, a 180mm lens has only a certain level of usefulness to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the trouble is that the Chinese are making TOO MUCH MONEY and have Trillions of spare $$$$ they never use ( UNLIKE the UK !! ) so everything is expensive there -- the Chinese have over 2 million in their Army whereas poor UK can afford only 80,000 and are still getting rid of many !
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin