Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,302   Online: 890

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Jepsen View Post
    I almost bought the Mamiya M6. The reasons I bought the RF645 were no reported film advance weaknesses, the meter was accurate, it was a more advanced design, the optics had good OOF blurs, and overall size of the kit smaller than the M6 related to less lens volume.
    Actually I've never had problems with the infamous winding mechanism problem with either of my Mamiya 6s. My RF645 actually has a slightly loose winding. Couldn't agree more about the advanced design and metering but remember the Mamiya 6 has a collapsible lens mount which makes it somewhat smaller

After buying the Zenzanon-RF 100mm I sent the camera back to the repair center to remove the 135 and replace with the 100mm frame line. The 100mm is a better fit for the camera. I get all the background blur needed as the lens has a close focus feature. You can focus at 1.2M. The MTF curve of this lens is impressive and there is no distortion.
    I also had my frame lines changed on my older body. Tamron still services the RF645. I just don't see the crispness with this lens that I do with my 150mm on the Mamiya. The RF is properly calibrated, it's just not as sharp.

Most of my compositions are vertical. The neg fits into a whole plate dimension and looks great in the hand, displayed on a desk top or wall.
    I love the vertical viewfinder! Many first time users of this camera never get used to this. It felt natural to me almost immediately. Since I shoot this camera and the Mamiya 6 for 90% of my work when I do use a camera with a horizontal viewfinder I don't know what to do!!

I should also mention that I too love the 6x4.5 format ratio. Prints nicely to 5x7 or 6x8 or 9x12. It's not stubby like the 6x7 format or long and narrow like 35mm or 6x9. 6x4.5 and 6x8 are ideal rectangles IMO.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I love the vertical viewfinder! Many first time users of this camera never get used to this. It felt natural to me almost immediately. Since I shoot this camera and the Mamiya 6 for 90% of my work when I do use a camera with a horizontal viewfinder I don't know what to do!!
    That's an interesting point. I forgot about it, but yes, it needs some time to get used to. At first that is. Not because it is a bad system, not at all. It is because we are used to see through landscape view finders with 135 format cameras.
    And yes, it was refreshing for me too. I like the portrait finder. Once I turned my mind around to it I was even very pleased with it even more. It is a bright finder with good info presented on the side. It is good to be pulled outside your comfort zone once in a while as a photographer and this view finder made me think again about how I compose a shot.
    The only time this happened before was when I used a Bronica SQ-B (6x6) for the first time and saw the image on that very large ground glass. I was hooked to the MF cameras immediately and bought me the Bronica. Never regretted it. Later I bought the RF645 too because it was a rangefinder. It often accompanies me on vacations, etc., when I don't have much time for photography, but want more than iPhone snapshots
    I love both cameras and both have their merits. I love the quality of Bronica glass too.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin