Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,897   Posts: 1,584,321   Online: 885

Shooter
    35mm

Differences between Mamiya RB 250mm lenses.

I'm thinking of picking up a 250mm for my second lens for my RB67 and was curious if anyone had any opinions about the different versions of this lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This website gives the breakdown on different lenses available for the RB

http://rb67.helluin.org/lenses/

Looks like the 250 is available in APO, K/L, C and I'm guessing there may be a non c out there as well? The site does a good job of explaining the difference in the APO, K/L and C lenses. If you are just shooting B&W I don't know if I'd worry about springing for an APO or even K/L, but I'll let someone more experienced in RB lenses answer that. Unless you are shooting into the sun a lot, I'm sure even the original lenses are great with a lens hood.

There is what looks like the oldest "original" version up on KEH for $72 with caps. At that price, I'd just say pick it up, give it a whirl, and if you don't like it, you could easily sell it for what you paid.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have what I think is the C version, and it's a nice enough lens. If you get an APO for a very good price, it is worth going for, though, especially if you shoot colour slide film. I don't think the differences are that great once you go to black and white, especially if you use colour filters. On my 645 system, I have tested ULD (= APO) lenses next to their normal counterparts, and the ULD lenses are slightly sharper, but the difference is a lot less than what good technique vs bad technique makes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edcculus View Post
    This website gives the breakdown on different lenses available for the RB

http://rb67.helluin.org/lenses/
    Thanks for that link. I was unaware of the site, but a quick skim looks like it is quite comprehensive.

I use the "C" lenses on my RB ProS. Never had a K/L or APO, but I only shoot B&W, so I doubt I'd see much difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the APO if you can, if the price is right.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin