Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,359   Online: 760

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pick it up, try it out. You can never know whether or not you will like working with a larger format until you try. In my opinion, even if you return to 35mm, anything that gives you the chance to step outside your comfort zone for awhile is a good thing.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    Pick it up, try it out. You can never know whether or not you will like working with a larger format until you try. In my opinion, even if you return to 35mm, anything that gives you the chance to step outside your comfort zone for awhile is a good thing.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'll go out in a limb - unless you are intentionally aiming for a grainy look, bigger negatives ARE always better _all other things being equal._ They rarely are equal. 35mm has advantages of size, weight, speed of use, automation and lens availability that can make it the best tool sometimes. (Or at least it CAN - with one of the pro grade autofocus 35mm cameras one might as well be carrying a MF SLR. But there are still advantages in lens availability even then.)

A technically better negative does not always mean an artistically better print either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, absolutely. All other thing equal the bigger piece of film pleases more people. Especially chrome shooters.

In 2009 I walked the streets of Manhattan with nothing but a Hasselblad and Foma 100 film. You find ways to make it work. And the negs (the sharp ones anyway) are very nice.

If you can carry a monopod, most of the shutter speed issues are negated too.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    So, I want to dip my feet into the world of MF (mainly because 120 slides are awesome)
    I don't go out with the intention of photography, but living in NYC, I always have a camera with me

So I'd like something to throw in a bag and walk around with
    I'd like something quick to deploy, and I don't think I get along too well with WLFs (wearing glasses and WLFs is not fun) though I may get used to it
    So should I just get a 6x4.5 system camera? Or should I go with a folder (with ancient lenses and RFs)? Or a Fuji of some sort?

Thanks
    With your purpose stated, you need a small light 645 rangefinder to experiment with. A Bronica RF645 set to AE would fit the bill as well as some of the Fuji's. The RF645 has the much better finder and is more modern. The RF645's 65mm focal length in vertical orientation is great for walking around and can be zone focused. The rig is much smaller than a Nikon F5, especially with a typical zoom lens. However, if doing street photography, a compact 35mm is going to be more useful more often. It's always horses for the courses.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 03-09-2014 at 10:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post

And the back problems! =)

Just had to chime in hear one more time-- While I'm a big 645 fan, and 645 can be made to have the conveniences of 35mm, it is frequently with quite a large weight penalty. A stripped 645 or 6x6 camera is a beautiful thing, but once you want the convenience of AE, a motor drive, and zooms, while it can be done, is not exactly easy on the back. Not sure if I clarified that in my earlier post.

I tried out one of the Schneider zooms for my ETRS a while back... that, paired with a motor drive (had access to the older one, not the nice, light EII) and an AE prism was a massive and heavy beast. Even having the upper body of a rock climber, it wasn't exactly comfortable or easy to raise to my eye. Probably at least 10x the weight of my little Pentax ZX-5 with a 75-150 zoom mounted on it.

So, to addend to my earlier statements, 645 is a fantastic all around system *especially if you don't need the conveniences of a motor drive, zoom lenses, and very accurate auto exposure*. Your back will thank you.

If I did need those, I'd probably still be on Nikon, with an F5 or F6.

For me, taking about 25-30 frames on a big day (MF), and shooting nothing but primes in 135 and MF, it makes sense to me =)
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Monopods rock!
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Great, after this thread, I feel the need to try all the formats...
    Luckily, I can only afford one system
    Maybe I'll borrow my dad's 500C and learn to deal with the WLF

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Luckily, I can only afford one system
    Maybe I'll borrow my dad's 500C and learn to deal with the WLF
    Not just yes but, Oh hell yes.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Our work here is done. Check back in when you need somebody to talk you into LF and ULF though. :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    I tried out one of the Schneider zooms for my ETRS a while back... that, paired with a motor drive (had access to the older one, not the nice, light EII) and an AE prism was a massive and heavy beast. Even having the upper body of a rock climber, it wasn't exactly comfortable or easy to raise to my eye. Probably at least 10x the weight of my little Pentax ZX-5 with a 75-150 zoom mounted on it.

The weight differences, especially compared to gems like the Olympus OM, can be considerable. Compared to the dSLR of today, it isn't as great a difference.

ETRSi body, metering prism, back, motor winder+batteries, PE 45-90mm zoom: 6lb 5oz
    Canon 40D body, 17-55mm zoom: 3lb 11oz
    Olympus OM4 body, 28-200mm: 2lb 8oz

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin