Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,082   Posts: 1,635,643   Online: 1112
      
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 115
  1. #81
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,763
    Images
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    Bresson, and Salgado, photograph "journalism".... it is what it is.
    I have a 20x30 from 35mm of a football coach... but it is crunchy looking, and I'd rather it not be so crunchy for that purpose.

    For a fine portrait, still life, landscapes... sometimes ... I like to move on to a larger media.
    And in the pre-digital age the client (right or wrong) REQUIRED IT!!! 35mm need not apply for many jobs.
    I have seen lots of product photography. E6 mostly, in the early 2000's. I know what you're talking about. Magazines, posters, etc.

    I just don't agree with it. I respect your opinion, but I very much dislike rules, particularly when it comes to expressive art forms.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  2. #82
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I know very well that surface area has an impact.

    That isn't my point, however.
    If Henri Cartier-Bresson can have 20x24 prints from 35mm negatives hanging in museum and private collections all over the world, then how come it isn't good enough for us?

    I realize 35mm isn't for everything. And I'm not trying to convince the OP to not get a 645. I just get tired of all the tedious norms about not printing bigger than 6x9 from 35mm, when you can see prints much bigger than that, mural size in fact, of Salgado for example, in museums. It just vehemently contradicts the 'norms'.
    Well, because we aren't Cartier-Bresson. And because we don't all shoot with his style or goals so it isn't just "we don't have his skill" either.

    It would be just as fair to point out that CB's work could have never been done with an 8x10 and say therefore he was lacking as a photographer because if 8x10 was good enough for Ansel (and for Weston for anti-Adams crowd) it should be good enough for CB or us. Horses for courses and all that.

    You can certainly print as large as you like from any format, and the results may be fine for your purposes. Only the photographer can determine that based on their vision. I think we are in agreement. The only reason I waded into this was that someone suggested that 645 was not much of a step up in format size from 35mm and I disagree with that. It's a big jump and I agree with those who say that it makes a bigger difference than the jump from 645 up to 6x7.

  3. #83
    erikg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    pawtucket rhode island usa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,458
    The commercial standards of another era need not apply.

  4. #84
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Or, you like the aspect ratio of 35mm and crop you 645 negs... Goes both ways.
    A good point, too.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  5. #85
    vpwphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,182
    Blog Entries
    4
    Images
    7
    It seems to be a semantics war now.
    "Rules" "Standards"... to me it was "engineering specifications". And to some extent comes down to that.

    Although my 18MP MF camera has an entirely different look than my 18MP DSLR. And it can not be easily replicated with the other.

  6. #86
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    The commercial standards of another era need not apply.
    Those standards were what they were because Kodachrome was so superior to other color films of the day. At one time ad agency preference was for either a 34mm Kodachrome or 8x10 Ektachrome; anything else was seen inferior leaving medium format out completely. That wasn't true for a very long time as E6 films caught up with and surpassed Kodachrome.

  7. #87
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,763
    Images
    294
    No, it's not about semantics. It's about making the box, that we are supposed to think outside, disappear.

    I break norms for a living, find solutions to what others find impossible. So I'm inclined to believe what I can witness with my own eyes.

    Will prints from 645 negs be smoother? Of course! Does it matter? That's for you to decide. I think, for the most part, that it doesn't matter.

    Don't you guys sometimes go against convention and make fun discoveries?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  8. #88
    erikg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    pawtucket rhode island usa
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,458
    When you are doing something for your own enjoyment, aspiring to make art or not keeping within engineered specs doesn't really enter into it. There was a time when even newspapers didn't want anything less than 4x5, but times change. Every format has it's own syntax and quality can be defined in many ways.

  9. #89
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,763
    Images
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Well, because we aren't Cartier-Bresson. And because we don't all shoot with his style or goals so it isn't just "we don't have his skill" either.

    It would be just as fair to point out that CB's work could have never been done with an 8x10 and say therefore he was lacking as a photographer because if 8x10 was good enough for Ansel (and for Weston for anti-Adams crowd) it should be good enough for CB or us. Horses for courses and all that.
    No, we are not Cartier-Bresson. But we have access to better materials than he had in his day, which should give us an advantage from a standpoint of print quality.

    Anyway, what I'm getting at, and you all contributed wonderfully, is that when you change camera format, you also change how you shoot.
    Again, pick a camera that fits your working style. Then, go make prints whatever size negative you happen to make. Make beautiful prints. The end.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  10. #90
    markbarendt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    5,943
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...when you change camera format, you also change how you shoot.
    We don't even need to change format to see how this happens.

    For a long time I was enamored with purely mechanical cameras. One of my favorite cameras from that phase was my Nikon FM2, I finally sold it and all my manual focus lenses because for the type of shooting I do with 35mm cameras it simply couldn't keep up with my F5 or F100 or even my lowly N90s.

    Autofocus was a distinct and important part of the decision but even more important was having bodies and lenses that could support automatically balanced fill flash. (I do though still marvel at how my RB67 system fits together, it's like a transformer for big kids like us.)

    The modern Nikon bodies and lenses simply let me shoot in ways that the FM2 and manual focus lenses wouldn't.

    When we use Medium Format or larger cameras we do need to remember that we give certain things up.

    For me the bigger formats are dedicated purpose tools for use when I have something very specific in mind, which is fairly regular. They are typically heavier, slower, less automated, and require more work; so the larger cameras needs to provide something 35mm cameras can't; to earn their keep.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

    "We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin