Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,715   Online: 925

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Should I go for a 6x4.5 system?

So, I want to dip my feet into the world of MF (mainly because 120 slides are awesome)
    I don't go out with the intention of photography, but living in NYC, I always have a camera with me

So I'd like something to throw in a bag and walk around with
    I'd like something quick to deploy, and I don't think I get along too well with WLFs (wearing glasses and WLFs is not fun) though I may get used to it
    So should I just get a 6x4.5 system camera? Or should I go with a folder (with ancient lenses and RFs)? Or a Fuji of some sort?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go the 6x4.5 like the Mamiya.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Fuji GA645 family would probably suit your needs perfectly. Several people on this forum have one, I don't. So search here for GA645 or look here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a Mamiya C33 and C3 (TLRs) until they were stolen (early 1980's), I replaced them with a pair of Mamiya 645s (one a 1000S), great cameras, superb lenses.

Obviously a folder is lighter but the flexibility of the Mamiya 645 is great for serious photography, mine were used professionally for well over 20 years, they still get used for certain projects.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spijker View Post
    The Fuji GA645 family would probably suit your needs perfectly. Several people on this forum have one, I don't. So search here for GA645 or look here.
    Absolutely agree here. For "throw it in the bag" simplicity, nothing beats a Fuji GA645.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GarageBoy View Post
    So I'd like something to throw in a bag and walk around with
    First ask yourself if you'd be comfortable tossing a Nikon F5 or Canon EOS-1 with booster into your bag just for walking around. A 645 SLR with prism finder is that heavy.

On the other hand, the Fuji 645 rangefinder/viewfinder cameras, both manual focus GS series and autofocus GA series, are comparable in overall size and weight to a small 35mm SLR with a compact prime lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go with a Nettar or Ikonta folder. The lenses might well be ancient but they still perform well - at least, so long as you do not shoot into the sun - and you do not need the bag as they fit into a trouser pocket.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Another thought is a 6x6 folder. No awkward turning the camera sideways.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Bronica ETR series seems to be the smallest SLR 645 that I know of. It's not a bad kit too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Fuji GA645 is the answer to what you seek. i, w, or Zi variants are avaialble. I have all 3. You can think of them as the Stylus Epic of the Medium Format world - light, fast to deploy and operate, and deadly sharp lenses. Built in metering, super accurate autofocus even in very dim light (use an advanced dual active IR/passive rangefinder system), and data imprinting on film edge are all benefits. Best of all is the price - around 500usd.
    The 645i has a fixed 35mm equiv. FOV lens, the w a 28mm equiv FOV, and the Zi a 35-55mm equiv. zoom lens.
    Biggest drawback for me is the max shutter speed is only 2 seconds, so no small aperture, long exposures in dim light on a tripod.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin