Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,314   Online: 894

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting project.

Showing some ignorance on my part here....but is there even a such thing as an analog enlargement that size? How would one go about doing something like that?
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    Interesting project.

Showing some ignorance on my part here....but is there even a such thing as an analog enlargement that size? How would one go about doing something like that?
    It would be produced in panels regardless of origin of output. I have had shots of mine used commercially much larger, 20x30 feet, always in panels.

If that is an RZ in his sig, then Ektar 100 drum scanned should hold up well although I would rent a 4x5 since a D800 stitched would easily overtake the 6x7 scan. Ideally for maximum impact, that file needs to be 24,000 pixels across to hold a clean 200dpi.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-10-2014 at 12:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Let me repeat: The first thing you need to do is establish what output technology will be used to produce the large images. There is no point in shooting for 200 ppi when the printing technology used can only support 72ppi.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Let me repeat: The first thing you need to do is establish what output technology will be used to produce the large images. There is no point in shooting for 200 ppi when the printing technology used can only support 72ppi.
    No need to repeat, he has not said, so why not give him the info to help guide his client to what is possible? Sure, if it is 72ppi then there is no need to produce a 1GB file, I just gave him a case in which I use higher...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If there's budget for 10 foot prints, there's budget for large format. You can buy Ektar sheets pretty easily, it's the cheapest colour LF film there is!

Ektar is very much higher resolution than Reala and is more contrasty and saturated. Reala is much more neutral looking, it makes good portraits. If you're printing hybrid, the Ektar can be tamed, or you might not want to.

Geelong & Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first reaction is that large format, not medium format, is a requisite. From 4x5, the maximum visual clarity (proportional) enlargement is 1.6m (W) x 2m (H), untiled. Sheet film is definitely preferable above this e.g. for 8x10++ especially if the brief calls for an enlargement of 3.04m (10ft). The negative will also require a very high resolving scan (drum scan, possibly separate contiguous files) for the best result; again, only ULF or digital can get close to this. I don't see how you are going to do this with MF other than repeatedly tiling the image (tedious and costly to do for pro-level labs, but this is still very common with murals) and manual reassembly in-situ.

Prof. Pixel: Print technology supports upward of 300ppi. Where did you get that 72ppi from??
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Depends on the shot
    If it is impact and movement then blur and 35mm is ok.
    If it should be sharp you need a solid tripod or support.
    If it is on a bill board who cares about people who graze noses on matt surface...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    If it is on a bill board who cares about people who graze noses on matt surface...
    I think this pretty much sums up what I was going to say. We can calculate dpi and pixels and grain and enlargement factors all we want, but it all depends on how 'good' is 'good enough'.
    10' prints where you're going to be looking at it from 1' away? Then you definitely need the best quality you can get, 300dpi or whatever equivalent grain-enlargement-factor.
    But if you're only going to see them from 5m away or more hung high up on a wall, then you could probably get away with 35mm or even a camera-phone...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In the movie industry, they produce images from 35mm size that are printed onto a plastic type paper that can be hung and stretched flat. They are very cheap, a 60x70 foot print only costs $2,00-$3,000 which is truly reasonable. So it's do-able even with medium format, just depends what you hope to accomplish.

Based on what everyone said, do you have more info to share about budget and display area?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by razocaine_07 View Post
    I've recently been commissioned to produce a series of images for my city library, the biggest images will be printed to approximately 10ft x 10ft

At the moment I am toying between using Kodak Ektar 100 and Fuji Reala 100 and was wondering if anyone could share their experience when enlarging to large sizes from a 120 negative.

The subject matter is going to be local landmarks, with no portraits

i would contact your printer and ask him / her what their opinion and experience is.
    sounds like a fun project ... and it can probably be done with any format and any film ..
    as long as you give your printer what they need to make the prints ..
    with excessively large prints its important to remember that
    viewing distance is everything, else even the best of images will
    end up looking like a monet painted it ...

have fun ..

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin