Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,574   Posts: 1,545,701   Online: 781

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    It would be produced in panels regardless of origin of output.
    I'm pretty sure there are banner printers more than wide enough to print this in one shot. 10ft really isn't that big.

Count me among those with the opinion that just about any source media will work here, depending on the desired result.

Some years ago, I took a photo with my 6MP D70 that ended up being used on a billboard. I don't know how big the print was, but it was certainly way bigger than 10'x10' and it looked fabulous....from the road below. I never saw it up close, but I'm sure it was massively pixelated. No matter. From a reasonable viewing distance it looked just fine.

Nothing wrong with shooting an 8x10 negative and getting a zillion MP drum scan. If the objective is to have some crazy high resolution where people can walk up to the print and read the waist size off the back of a distant subject's Levis, then something like this is the tool for the job.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Zeiss camera lens news no. 19 (March 2003) has an article titled "Resolving Power of Photographic Films" which reports the tested resolution (lp/mm) of some films.

For example Kodak Portra 160 VC/NC is listed near the top of the CN films with 150 (VC) and 140 (NC) lpmm. I expect the current (2011) Portra 160 should be similar.

I remember there was a follow-up article in Camera Lens News with test results for additional films but don't have the reference handy.

Andrew

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 03-15-2014 at 02:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs" (Ansel Adams)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by omaha View Post
    I'm pretty sure there are banner printers more than wide enough to print this in one shot. 10ft really isn't that big.
    Yes, there absolutely are. I'm in the graphic arts industry and saw this in a trade magazine the other day.

http://w3.efi.com/Vutek/Products/GS5000r

That beast will do about 16 feet across and nearly endless width since its rollfed. UV cured too so it can print at high speeds....man I'm working for the wrong company....

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by razocaine_07 View Post
    , the biggest images will be printed to approximately 10ft x 10ft
    That does not tell the whole story. The only important thing is the largest scale the images would be looked at finally.

It is a huge difference whether one could put ones nose to them or if one stands off that far that they impress as a print at hand of 10"x10".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    So far I only have experience with Ektar 100 in 35mm but I've shot about 20 rolls of it so I'll go ahead and give my .02cents. I have some shots of Ektar 100 that are cleaner looking than digital when examined on my computer with scans of equal res, its not the norm but its possible, the stuff is scary fine grain. Was my first roll of 35mm film I used and 8x10's of 35mm Ektar 100 look as clean as my digital shots when printed. Portra 400 is also very impressive, it looks better than most consumer 200 speed film allot of the time, so if you needed 400 ISO stuff it'd be a good choice. Reala is also a good choice, although I have not shot it myself, only seen negs and scans. The other day I was entertaining the thought of renting large format and looked into 4x5 Ektar 100 and it was remarkably cheaper than stuff like Velvia and Provia and honestly Ektar 100 is right on par with Velvia and Provia (don't shoot me chrome fans!), of course you don't get lovely chrome positives to look at on a light table but for optical printing and high res scans I really think its the best Color Negative film if you need that E100VS or Velvia look. For large prints viewing distance is key though, I honestly wouldn't worry about going insane with large format and the best resolving film if the average viewer is a more than a dozen feet away, I'm a resolution Nazi but I'm also a realist.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    So far I only have experience with Ektar 100 in 35mm but I've shot about 20 rolls of it so I'll go ahead and give my .02cents. I have some shots of Ektar 100 that are cleaner looking than digital when examined on my computer with scans of equal res, its not the norm but its possible, the stuff is scary fine grain. Was my first roll of 35mm film I used and 8x10's of 35mm Ektar 100 look as clean as my digital shots when printed. Portra 400 is also very impressive, it looks better than most consumer 200 speed film allot of the time, so if you needed 400 ISO stuff it'd be a good choice. Reala is also a good choice, although I have not shot it myself, only seen negs and scans. The other day I was entertaining the thought of renting large format and looked into 4x5 Ektar 100 and it was remarkably cheaper than stuff like Velvia and Provia and honestly Ektar 100 is right on par with Velvia and Provia (don't shoot me chrome fans!), of course you don't get lovely chrome positives to look at on a light table but for optical printing and high res scans I really think its the best Color Negative film if you need that E100VS or Velvia look. For large prints viewing distance is key though, I honestly wouldn't worry about going insane with large format and the best resolving film if the average viewer is a more than a dozen feet away, I'm a resolution Nazi but I'm also a realist.
    Look at the box count... Ektar100 and Velvia100 are more similar in price per sheet... (Ektar100-$3.30/Velvia100-$3.90) Though JUST recently B&H upped the Velvia from 68 to 77 so it's a bit wider now...

So it's not REMARKABLY cheaper.... But it is cheaper... Currently... Though kodak will raises prices soon, but then so will Fuji... So... Who knows! It's a race to see who will price themselves out first!
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Look at the box count... Ektar100 and Velvia100 are more similar in price per sheet... (Ektar100-$3.30/Velvia100-$3.90) Though JUST recently B&H upped the Velvia from 68 to 77 so it's a bit wider now...

So it's not REMARKABLY cheaper.... But it is cheaper... Currently... Though kodak will raises prices soon, but then so will Fuji... So... Who knows! It's a race to see who will price themselves out first!
    Well if that applies to 120 or 135 thats good enough of an excuse for me to drop more cash in a month than I'm willing to admit on more film

Side note: B&H is freaking me out lately, they put a number of discontinued signs up over "out of stock" on all of their Velvia 100F (no surprise there but after I bought 1 roll of 120 it all magically disapeared) and then a few 4x5 Velvia 100 boxes went "discontinued" but it might have just been a price hike since I didn't read another dreaded announcement.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    Well if that applies to 120 or 135 thats good enough of an excuse for me to drop more cash in a month than I'm willing to admit on more film

Side note: B&H is freaking me out lately, they put a number of discontinued signs up over "out of stock" on all of their Velvia 100F (no surprise there but after I bought 1 roll of 120 it all magically disapeared) and then a few 4x5 Velvia 100 boxes went "discontinued" but it might have just been a price hike since I didn't read another dreaded announcement.
    Velvia 100f has been discontinued for a long while... So what remained was the last stock, it's gone, permanently.

Velvia 100 was not, but the buyer at B&H didn't realize it was different and I had to harass him multiple times and show him that Adorama was selling it, and then he found a way to get more.

But what is discontinued is the "old box" style, the new box comes at a higher price, but is fresher of course as it's a new run...

Velvia50 exists in all sizes but is only sold as sheet in Japan...so the cost is high for shipping if you want it you have to buy direct from Japan.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Velvia 100f has been discontinued for a long while... So what remained was the last stock, it's gone, permanently.

Velvia 100 was not, but the buyer at B&H didn't realize it was different and I had to harass him multiple times and show him that Adorama was selling it, and then he found a way to get more.

But what is discontinued is the "old box" style, the new box comes at a higher price, but is fresher of course as it's a new run...

Velvia50 exists in all sizes but is only sold as sheet in Japan...so the cost is high for shipping if you want it you have to buy direct from Japan.
    That explains allot. I would have been really upset if Velvia 100 was discontinued, transparency film is starting to become a unicorn lately.

I knew Velvia 100F was discontinued it was just strange that I grabbed one roll of it and seconds later it all disappears :O Allot of people didn't really like Velvia 100F but I actually thought the colors were excellent, I saw some shots of the night sky with V100F and thought it rendered out much better than Provia and the other Velvia's (there was a comparison). Velvia 50 is allot a bit too intense for certain things and on 135 with 36 exposures thats allot of shots to waste just to throw in some milder...Also pretty sure Velvia 50 sheet film has been discontinued, there was an article about some guy buying the last batch from Fuji, of course its still on the shelves but not for long, personally I find Velvia 100 to be the sweet spot. Provia is good too, I just wish they still made Provia 400X :/ Actually I wish they still made Ektachrome 200, just to have a nice normal decent speed slide film.

Back to the topic though, Ektar 100 is great and if I didn't mention it before it scans like a boss, I haven't had any drum scans of Ektar 100 yet but I would imagine you could drum scan Ektar 100 negs of any size really and be able to go pretty big. Its one of those films where I see the limits of optics before the limits of the film if I stop down and take a super sharp shot. Someone even said it was like "digital in a roll of film" haha.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Anything printed this big will be a bit mushy if closely examined. There are a lot of tricks to optimizing and printing something this big. I rather
    frequently shoot 8x10 Ektar, and would stongly recommend that combination as the most realistic option if detail and saturation are what you
    have in mind. You'd need a vaccuum or adhesive filmholder, and top-notch lenses and focus technique. The bigger problem is HOW you're going
    to print and mount it. Digital printing of any variety will create a bit of detail loss from full 8x10 film. Any format smaller than 8x10, well, just
    expect a big blob of mush anyway - essentially a billboard, ya' know ... that "normal viewing distance" nonsense... it will look perfect sharp from
    a hundred yards away to anyone nearsighted to begin with. But in the real world of printing, Ektar will deliver a more detailed image than Velvia.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin