Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,846   Online: 929

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Best colour negative film for enlargement

I've recently been commissioned to produce a series of images for my city library, the biggest images will be printed to approximately 10ft x 10ft

At the moment I am toying between using Kodak Ektar 100 and Fuji Reala 100 and was wondering if anyone could share their experience when enlarging to large sizes from a 120 negative.

The subject matter is going to be local landmarks, with no portraits

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Use large format.

Between the two, I prefer Reala.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unfortunately the budget won't cover LF although that would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I believe Ektar is capable of rendering greater detail, if exposed and developed properly. Colors are more of a personal preference thing, and I wouldn't choose Ektar for portraits, but for architecture I think it is great.
    Are these going to be optical enlargements or scan/prints? Because if the latter, to get great resolution you'll need to use a drum scanner-- at that point I would suspect the price gets close enough that LF should be achievable.

That being said, I think 120 can reach very high enlargements if treated correctly. I was blown away when I found out Candida Hofer mostly uses MF. If detail is a must and you are locked in MF, you might consider using high-resolution B&W for the really large prints, and optical enlargement if possible. If you are really pushing a format like that, every detail (film, developer, taking lens, enlarging lens) is going to come into play though.

Just want to add, I have zero experience making mega-sized prints, so take what I have to say with a grain of salt! I am sure stronger minds will be able to chime in here.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It sounds like a fun project - and a bit of a challenge to print MF that big.

My only suggestion would be not to put all your eggs in the same basket.

Meaning that you should use more than one type of film, to give you more options in the end.

Would it be an option to use positive film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would think that Kodak Ektar is your best bet but 10ft square prints are a big ask, where do you intend to have the negatives printed ?, because I suggest you find a lab that specializes in this type of work because I think they are printed in sections, I would have some talks with them to discuss the project, your requirements and their recommendations, and get a costing to see if it would be a financially viable commercial proposition for you to shoot
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. Figure out what the printer wants to work with. I would guess if you can afford a 10ft print, you can afford a drum scan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektar 100. Try to use a Mamiya 7 if you can, it will offer the sharpest negs.

Shooter
    35mm
    I suggest you figure out how the prints will be made before you spend a lot of time worrying about the film type and size. Most of such prints I've seen were produced on large scale inkjet printers used to produce biilboards.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you use Ektar sheet film in 8x10 then it's should be just fine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin