Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,251   Online: 1021

Shooter
    Medium Format

500CM Focusing Screen Replacement - Upgrade?

What improvements or enhancements could I anticipate by replacing the standard focusing screen that came with my 500 CM with a Hasselblad Acute-Matte 42170 Grid Split Image Focusing Screen?

Any comments or information you could provide would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the acute matte SI-grids in two of my three bodies, I prize them for landscape and aerial work. The image will be much brighter, feels like a new camera. The split is very handy for low light, fast focusing and tired or wind teared eyes and can be oriented either horizontal or vertical if working predominately in either. The grid is pretty handy for landscape, aerials or architecture but can be a little distracting for subjects like portraits, candids etc.

One particular topic I find the grid invaluable for is memorizing double or triple exposure placements. For example, this long term series I am working on requires me to have precise placements of components in the frame, the grid is KING for this....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since I started this thread, I wanted to report what I finally did and how it has worked for me thus far. I purchased a "Hasselblad Acute-Matte 42170 Grid Split-Image Bright Focusing Screen". Installation was wonderfully easy and I could not be more happy with the increased brightness. While this is certainly a personal taste thing, the split-image has been helpful in most situations and I've yet to find it a detriment. For me, it makes my composition and focusing much easier. I also have greater confidence that I've accomplished the framing and DOF I want in a particular photograph.

In addition to the new focusing screen, I also purchased a Hasselblad Prism Finder that fits/works excellently with my PM5 prism viewfinder. At this juncture the addition of these two upgrades to my Hasselblad kit have been terrific; I could not be more pleased.

Thanks PMK-25 for your comments and suggestions; they were most helpful.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JDW22 View Post
    What improvements or enhancements could I anticipate by replacing the standard focusing screen that came with my 500 CM with a Hasselblad Acute-Matte 42170 Grid Split Image Focusing Screen?

Any comments or information you could provide would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank you.
    I got more benefit from the split-image focusing than from abrighterscreen.that'swhy for me low-cost split image screens from China worked.they are not as bright as acumattebut,the split image focusing does the trick.alternatively,get a used Hasselbladnonacumattesplit-focus screen.They cost a lot less than the brightacumatte screensand are almost as goodBTW, be sure to have the DOFbutton disengaged before focusing or the screen will be very dark,a mistake I made when I first had trouble focusing a Hasselblad.live and learn,I guess
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love my split image screen. With my eyes, I almost cannot focus a camera anymore without one, and being brighter also helps.

Wayne

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin