Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,636   Online: 777

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Getting used to the Pentax 67, so far so good with one small confession

So far so good transitioning to the 67 from my Mamiya ProTL 645. The ProTL was FOOL-proof, assuming so wedding photographers in a rush wouldn't do something that would cost them a roll.

I've put five rolls through the 'new' 67 in just over two weeks. Film loading is no problem, while unloading is a bit more unnerving. Just a few tense moments trying to get the film out in the car.

I did lose the first frame on a roll yesterday. I had just pulled the body/lens from my pack and as I was mounting it to the tripod head my finger hit the MLU button by mistake. I thought that the "emergency release button" might drop the mirror, but pushing it in didn't do squat. I had to push the shutter release. Oh well. The ProTL has a manual switch for up/down. Am I missing something, or are you committed to fire at that point?

Other than that, I think I had one of the best days shooting yesterday. My wife and I made our way down the Mendocino and Sonoma County coastline yesterday. A bit of misty rain, deep colors, great atmosphere. Can't wait to see the results.

Anyone else care to confess about a dumb mistake they made over the weekend?
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Crown Speed Graphic Pacemaker 4x5
    Various 35mm systems

My Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday I loaded a bulk roll of Rollei Retro 80s the wrong way in the loader, but I managed to correct it by taking it out in my darkroom (bathroom) and re-loading it. Got a little nervous, though.

I hope you like your Pentax 6X7. It was my first medium format camera, and it's my favorite.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Good save!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I think Pentax daylight performance is better than Mamiya but Mamiya beats Pentax at the dark , indoor. If you will shoot wedding , Pentax would render light and skin tones wonderfully. Pentax have strange colors at the indoor , I could not warm it. But this is what I saw at gallery , I am an old Kiev 88 user.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not troubled by idiosyncracies of the Pentax 67, apart from the MLU being an annoyance, it is also an invaluable feature for tripod-based photography with any lens greater than 75mm. But there's more. The other potential problem is the TTL meter housing can become unsuspectingly dislodged if the locating pin is not seated in the shutter speed dial on the body; effectively, one of the two latches may not be engaged. Should the camera be tilted on its side there is a risk of the TTL meter coming away from the camera — C*R*A*S*H*!!. This happened to me a few weeks ago but, noticing a lack of response from the meter, an inspection revealed the prism was about to dislodge and immediately remedied this. Replacing the foam seal on the base of the TTL meter prism also results in initial bulk which requires the prism be pressed very firmly to positively seat it. After a few weeks this bulk will disappear and the prism will seat easily, but still with the normal amount of positive force followed by the click lock.

Film loading and unloading is a bit of a fine art process; I too admit to a few chills removing the roll, especially if I'm standing in a river or the sea!

The MLU button ideally should be taped over when the camera is in the bag, and the tape left in place until immediately before shooting. Not hard to observe discipline with a new camera and the 67 is one of the best with the beautiful 6x7 format.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does it have a multi-exposure option? That's what I do when I accidentally bump the shutter/mirror release on my RZ - stick the lens cap on, fire the shutter, put it in M mode then take the shot I wanted.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Does it have a multi-exposure option? That's what I do when I accidentally bump the shutter/mirror release on my RZ - stick the lens cap on, fire the shutter, put it in M mode then take the shot I wanted.

Good suggestion and it does work (I have the factory-fitted MEX, but a great many cameras do not). But prevention is better than cure...
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Earlier 6x7 's did NOT have a double-exposure lever but the Mk II DOES and I have used it .
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you're getting to know the Pentax well enough for reliable results.

I never make mistakes... The other day I was in the darkroom and poured the fixer back in the wrong bottle and managed to ruin a 5 year old replenished batch of print developer. Luckily I have what's left in the tray to season freshly mixed developer with, but if you can avoid doing that you won't have to smell the ammonia smell that results from it. Hot tip of the day.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    I'm not troubled by idiosyncracies of the Pentax 67, apart from the MLU being an annoyance, it is also an invaluable feature for tripod-based photography with any lens greater than 75mm. But there's more. The other potential problem is the TTL meter housing can become unsuspectingly dislodged if the locating pin is not seated in the shutter speed dial on the body; effectively, one of the two latches may not be engaged. Should the camera be tilted on its side there is a risk of the TTL meter coming away from the camera — C*R*A*S*H*!!. This happened to me a few weeks ago but, noticing a lack of response from the meter, an inspection revealed the prism was about to dislodge and immediately remedied this. Replacing the foam seal on the base of the TTL meter prism also results in initial bulk which requires the prism be pressed very firmly to positively seat it. After a few weeks this bulk will disappear and the prism will seat easily, but still with the normal amount of positive force followed by the click lock.

Film loading and unloading is a bit of a fine art process; I too admit to a few chills removing the roll, especially if I'm standing in a river or the sea!

The MLU button ideally should be taped over when the camera is in the bag, and the tape left in place until immediately before shooting. Not hard to observe discipline with a new camera and the 67 is one of the best with the beautiful 6x7 format.
    There's always that transitional phase one goes through when learning a new instrument. My fingers are still learning the landscape. Should be a no-brainer as I get more seat time with the 67.

I used MLU on all but three shots on three rolls. Quite nice that there's no force needed to engage it.

My bag doesn't come close to contacting the switch (hmmm, or does it?). I'd better look. Thanks for the tips!
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Crown Speed Graphic Pacemaker 4x5
    Various 35mm systems

My Flickr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin