Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,923   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "super" part of the name indicates that it has a coupled rangefinder. That's the main reason why they are so much more expensive than the regular Ikonta.

Check this out: http://www.cameraquest.com/zikontb.htm
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    The "super" part of the name indicates that it has a coupled rangefinder. That's the main reason why they are so much more expensive than the regular Ikonta.
    Check this out: http://www.cameraquest.com/zikontb.htm
    According to this Cameraquest, this auction is for the latest model, a 533/16 type 2: http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Vintage-1950s...26be707&_uhb=1
    (BTW: don't know the seller or this camera, don't know if it still works properly, light meter is not mentioned)

The one you mentioned in your first post is for the first model of 533/16, the one Cameraquest calls: "Basically a (532/16) with an ugly uncoupled selenium meter stuck on top."

It seems you can tell the difference by looking at the top: the position of the hotshoe and the light meter is reversed. Also the windows of the light meter is smaller on the second model.
    Last edited by TheToadMen; 03-11-2014 at 03:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    in my opinion the 534/16 (IV), the very last model, is much better. it's smaller, lighter, the rangefinder is better, film advance is less subject to overlap of frames. I bought 3 times a 533/16 from ebay, every time I asked the seller about the light meter, they all said that it was working fine and 3 times it wasn't. so I had 2 more tries with the 534/16. the first had a non working light meter as well (advertised as working) and the second, the one I kept, is kind of working, ways off the track, only useable in bright light (3 stops off the track).

nevertheless the IV is a wonderful camera. if you hold both models in your hands, the older one is a heavy, sturdy, kind of pre-war machine, whereas the newer model is a modern camera. I also bought a 531/16 (III), the same camera without light meter. it's a bit smaller, slightly lighter and quite less expensive. if you carry a tiny light meter (or fix it to the accessory shoe), you may have better results depending on your meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -I don't care anyway about the light-meter, i have always with me a trusted new sekonic l398.
    -I think those old Selenium meters, (the cells) slowly degrade, and special if they expose to light for big period, as those old cameras. So no problem for that, i care more for the shutter accuracy , maybe transport problem or light leak.
    -Thank you TheToadMen for your suggestion but this camera look in no good shape, i prefer that i fund as there is no big deal any-way between 5-10 years, if we count 50-60 years from now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't know about the metered Ikontae, but the meter assembly looks like it was cloned from the Contax IIIa. Those meters are more likely to work than most of their contemporaries, maybe because the little metal cover keeps them from continuous exposure to light. I still wouldn't assume anything about it, but there should be *some* chance.

To me that 533/16 actually looks in rather good shape. The outside is worn and it has Zeiss bumps, but the film doesn't see that stuff.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    concerning selenium meters a camera repair man explained to me that it's a question of sealing the surface of the cell with transparent varnish. in principle they could last forever. if the varnish yellows, it looses sensivity, if it cracks, it's over. obviously some manufacturers had better varnishes. some of the gossen meters seem to be quite resistant. I have never come across a dead polaroid 625 EV-meter, made by gossen. a nice meter for the super ikonta III and IV, which have EV settings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a post war version and its a really really nice camera, sharp photos, however, it is a chunk of steel so it is heavy. The meter does not work, for me doesn't matter, as I usually use a hand held meter with most of my cameras.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    This is a postwar camera with a coated Tessar. It's the BX model and was replaced by the Super Ikonta III and IV.

Think of it as a Super Ikonta B 532/16 with a selenium meter, because that's exactly what it is.

It's a large camera.

If it was me, I'd skip the BX and go for a 532/16 and use a handheld meter.

It's a nice camera - and a large one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin