Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,496   Online: 1084

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

ZEISS IKON "Super Ikonta 533/16"

-The title tell all, i have to ask about the quality of this beauty? is it worth to buy? i have mamyia 645 with 2 lens and i want the zeiss for b&w, thank you all.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/schone-ZEISS...torefresh=true

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Expect it to go in the $300-400 range, but it is supposedly one of the best folders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is the prewar model -- I would hope you could get it for less than that, but that may not be a bad estimate.

Beautifully made cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tessar lens, so you won't get the full-field sharpness that you're used to from the Mamiya lenses. With that proviso it should be excellent, and it will have a very different character from your Mamiya system; I think they're a good complementary pair.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't expect the shutter speeds to be accurate, but be ready to pay another $100 for CLA to make that happen. After that you will have what looks like a brand new camera. With the Tessar it should shoot wonderfully.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -Thank you all, i give a try until rich 200 euro. If they pass i go for another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Don't expect the shutter speeds to be accurate, but be ready to pay another $100 for CLA to make that happen.
    I suppose this is good advice, but my experience with folders of this vintage is that the *fast* speeds are almost always fine (if the shutter is working at all). Slow-speed escapements are likely to be hosed up in one way or another, but for handheld shooting I think the average old Compur is usable without a CLA.

Thanks

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I suppose this is good advice, but my experience with folders of this vintage is that the *fast* speeds are almost always fine (if the shutter is working at all). Slow-speed escapements are likely to be hosed up in one way or another, but for handheld shooting I think the average old Compur is usable without a CLA.

Thanks

-NT
    In my experience, you are right on. I used the Ikonta for 2 years before getting the CLA and after that all speeds were within a couple 1/1000s. Now it affords a lot more flexibility of exposure. The same can be applied to mid-to-late-60s Mamiya tlr lenses. All but one of mine work just fine on the shorter speeds and are real slow at the longer. They are all in for CLA now.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alexfoto View Post
    -The title tell all, i have to ask about the quality of this beauty? is it worth to buy? i have mamyia 645 with 2 lens and i want the zeiss for b&w, thank you all.
    Do not overlook the possibility of using this camera for colour as well. Sometimes these old, uncoated lenses have "muted" colour rendition. But if you use a film with very saturated colour, like Ektar or especially Velvia, that somewhat compensates, and you can end up with a rather pleasing palette. Of course if you find the shutter speeds are dodgy, you may have to avoid Velvia. Portra is less "punchy" colour, but very tolerant of mis-exposure. I don't know about Ektar's exposure latitude as I have used it only a little bit.

I will say I really like my Super Ikonta.

--Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -Is the viewfinder any good? how you set the distance?, i can't find any review, thank you all.
    -I like the great tonality of that old lens and tessar i think is perfect, i don't care so much about corner as i shoot outdoor with close aperture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin