Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,914   Online: 976

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Need help identifying mystery Rolleiflex

Hello all,

I found, on the equivalent of Craig's list, a Rolleiflex for sale near my home.

The prices seems quite good (if it works, but this I can find later) but I can't identify the model.

It looks very close to my 3.5 "B" (aka MX-EVS aka K4B) but might be a "white face", has a 3.5/75 Tessar, "crocodile" strap... but a serial # in the 2.700000 range, which I can't find anywhere.

The serial would make it a 3.5 "F", and a real bargain, but the lens does not fit in the schema...

any clue would be appreciated!
    Laurent

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast (Oscar Wilde)

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    have to study the shutter release to see which MX/automat model if it is one. The size of the focusing knob is also a clue. There's some rollei collector's website with many variations I presume you've checked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As you said, there don't appear to be Rollei TLRs in the 2,700,000 range at all. You're sure about that number? My initial reaction was that it might be a T, because it has a Tessar, but the shutter release on those is different from all the other 120 Rollei models. You're sure it's a Tessar?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Is that the serial number of the lens or the body of the camera?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't seen the camera yet, so cannot be sure. I checked the sites I know (Rolleiclub, Antique cameras...), the only information that could match is from AntiqueCameras.net, where is reported serial number between 2250000-2810000 for a 3.5F type 3, but no Tessar

From the low quality image I saw, it's definitely not at T, looks very close to my own automat, but with "crocodile" strap attachments.

It has the timer on the upper right corner (like the automats), here's a copy of the only image I've got Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sans titre.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	84274
    The number is the camera's one, the lens would be maked "Tessar 1:3.5 f=75mm CARL ZEISS Nr 1669377"
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    White face cameras have the serial number on the front taking lens surround. The rest have serial number above the rolleiflex name plate. Look carefully at all the fastening points and the spanner wrench grooves, if they have been tooled then it might be a franken-flex, made up of parts from more than one camera. Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Even the bad photo shows that the faceplate is NOT a white face. Everything points to an MX-EVS, as you suspected. Maybe the serial number is the top lens. Or someone installed a new name plate (but late series plates are set up for removable hoods?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm trying to check with my Rolleiflex repair man, as I know he already did some transformations to add detachable hood to cameras which did not have it.

As far as I know, the serial was found on the hood, and not lens nameplate.
    Laurent

My APUG Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Even the bad photo shows that the faceplate is NOT a white face. Everything points to an MX-EVS, as you suspected. Maybe the serial number is the top lens. Or someone installed a new name plate (but late series plates are set up for removable hoods?).
    It does look like an MX-EVS, but that model did not have the alligator strap lugs. I think we have something that's been "customized." Maybe not a bad thing overall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be very careful with Rolleiflexes that look like this. In my experience of buying and examining many old Rollei's those brownish edges on the camera leather and on the handle generally show me something that may have been stored in wet or not ideal conditions and might be an indication of shutter problems or interior rust problems. Make sure you look at it face-to-face before you buy.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin