Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,857   Online: 837

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji (or Fujica) GSW690 - difficult to focus?

I would greatly appreciate any input on this. I have a Fujica GSW690, which yields excellent quality photos, when I can focus it well. However, I have tremendous difficulty focusing it. The "beamsplitter" is somewhat dim and very small relative to the size of the viewfinder frame. In addition, I wear trifocal glasses and find it quite difficult to get the beamsplitter area into focus. Any anything but the brightest light, it is VERY difficult to focus (at least for me). Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions welcomed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the Nikon screw in diopters fit that camera. I used one on my Cosina Bessa with the 21mm view finder. Now way I could see the whole frame with glasses on. If you do go for a Nikon diopter on a non-Nikon camera, realize the number marked on the lens is one diopter less than the actual value. So if you need -3 then buy the eyepiece marked -4, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It uses the nikon fm sized eye pieces. I think they are 19mm off the top of my head. Both my fuji cameras have diopters in them and rubber eye cups to help blocking out light from the sides which helps with focusing. Cleaning by removing the top is another option. You can also cheat by shooting at smaller apertures if the shot allows.

I found mine difficult to focus as well, especially in bright light. I took a little piece of black tape and attached it to the viewfinder window right over where the yellow rectangle appears to be. The added contrast helped quite a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions so far. Having never seen a new Fuji GSW690, I don't know how bright the 'split-image' focusing area is supposed to be and whether mine is dim (deteriorated) or normal. I suspect that my trifocal glasses are a major part of the problem... will try the Nikon diopters.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Try the black tape/Permanent marker trick. It has improved several of my cameras, although the diopter does sound like the first step.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin