Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,100   Online: 963

Shooter
    Medium Format

Need help diagnosing Mamiya M645 (not 1000s)

Recently I purchased a Mamiya M645. While its exterior is in great condition, the shutter does not work. It has a peculiar issue where the shutter button only opens the shutter and it uses the battery check button to bring in the second part of the shutter (to stop the exposure). If needed, I can record video of this. Is there any way to fix this without having to buy a new body? The exterior is nearly perfect and it'd be a shame for it to just be a paperweight. Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -This happen when the battery is exhausted, check the battery and replace with new one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a fresh PX28 lithium battery for it since I couldn't find anything else in my area when I first got it. Do I need true silver oxide batteries for it to function?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, you don't need silver oxide. I use an Alkaline 4LR44 6V. I bought 5 of them for about $10 on Amazon. Apparently, these are mainly used on dog collars to power dog owners' electric fences. They've been working fine for me for the past several weeks on my orginal Mamiya 645 as well as the later 645 Super. Also, your shutter will hang up if you place the shutter dial on the little round circle between 500 sec and B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by natertots View Post
    I bought a fresh PX28 lithium battery for it since I couldn't find anything else in my area when I first got it. Do I need true silver oxide batteries for it to function?
    Be careful with the lithium batteries. They are different from the other options, and your camera came out a long time before they were invented.

Mamiya used to have a compatibility chart on the internet that listed which cameras were (and were not) suitable for using the lithium batteries.

The alkaline batteries work on the Super and the Pro bodies I have owned, but they don't last particularly long.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Be careful with the lithium batteries. They are different from the other options, and your camera came out a long time before they were invented.

Mamiya used to have a compatibility chart on the internet that listed which cameras were (and were not) suitable for using the lithium batteries.

The alkaline batteries work on the Super and the Pro bodies I have owned, but they don't last particularly long.
    +1. The alkaline batteries seem to last quite long enough for a few dozen rolls, though. I have RZ67 Pro II, Pentax 67 II and Mamiya Pro TL bodies that use them, and I replace a battery on average once every six months to a year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    -I use alkaline and last long in my old 645, i shoot now my 19 roll of film, and the battery check led look bright.

Shooter
    35mm
    This may be due to sticking magnets on the electronically controlled shutter and may possibly be cleared after a good clean and service. The same happens to Minolta models (XG1! and later) and can almost always be restored to full working order.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin