Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,330   Online: 910

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 645 1000S Battery Check Light Stays "On"

Hi,

Long story short, an hour ago I was just given an almost like-new Mamiya 645 1000S from a friend that moved on to a few CM500s. I'm still giddy, as this is such a cool rig. I currently have a ProTL and a Pentax 67. This may very well replace my ProTL kit.

Everything seems to check out and it's supposed to work great. The battery check light stays on though after depressing the little red button. It's supposed to just stay on while depressig the button, just like every other check light in the world, right?

The switch feels a bit gummed up. Is there anything safe I could use to clean it without having the camera serviced?

Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo1.jpg  
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Various 35mm systems

My Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll reply to my own post. After putting the battery back into the body and carefully prying up the small red switch, the light did turn off. I'd still like to using a safe solvent or other type of cleaning to get it moving freely again. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Various 35mm systems

My Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try either rubbing alcohol or lighter fluid.
    I've used both on sliding parts, both plastic & metal with no bad effects. IE: they don't melt plastic.
    It only needs a SMALL drop & working the button. Might need more than one application.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used a "TV tuner and electrical cleaning" spray from Radio Shack for sticky problems like this. Tiny, tiny amounts as John says.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you John and Larry. That should be enough to get me going. I'll report back with my results.

Tiny amount. I'll use a toothpick as an applicator.
    Randy Wentzel
    Pentax 67
    Mamiya 645 1000S
    Various 35mm systems

My Flickr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin