Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,973   Posts: 1,558,707   Online: 818

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

6x6 equivalent of Rollei 35SE or Minox 35 GT?

Hi all,

I've been trying to find a cheap(ish) viewfinder 6x6 camera with a range of aperture settings and shutter speeds and some ability to focus (guess focus is fine). It would preferably not be a folder, and definitely not anything with a look-down finder. Kind of the 6x6 equivalent of a Rollei 35SE or Minox 35 GT (I'm aware that both of those fold in some way!) Obviously a Mamiya 6 would be great, but I don't have that kind of budget! Does the camera I'm imagining exist?

Thanks!
    Gary

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you don't mind 6x7, and can carry the weight, the Omega 100/200 series are usually bargains. And indestructible. And can stop a bullet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are looking for a fixed lens, rigid, relatively simple camera, with a good lens, there isn't a lot between basic box cameras with no adjustments and coupled-rangefinder or reflex cameras that have lots of sophistication.

You may want to re-consider a folder, for example, the little Welta Weltax I had up for sale (and sold) recently was a very pleasant little camera to use and has a pretty decent lens.

Another option might be something like a Yashicamat TLR, and just use the sports finder most of the time. They are light, reasonably compact, good optics, and don't cost a fortune.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0736.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    If you would consider a folder, the Olympus Chrome Six and Mamiya Six (original) both have excellent Olympus Zuiko lenses. They cost about the same as a Yashica 124 TLR in good condition. There are also quite a number of good German folders still available at reasonable prices below what can now be asked for a Super Ikonta. I would concur with bdial that the Yashica TLRs are also a good buy with nice lenses and are quite capable of taking excellent pictures. Don't overlook the likes of the Yashica-mat EM and LM models as the prices for these haven't quite kept pace with the 124(G) models but in many ways are just as good with a slightly more vintage look. I had an EM and enjoyed it greatly.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There are a lot of nice folding cameras out there in the 6x6 format. Agfa Isolette III has an uncoupled rangefinder. The scale focus version is the Isolette. Also, the Voigtlander Perkeo and the Bessa 66.

From Zeiss Ikon, the Nettar and Ikonta (scale focus) and Mess Ikonta (uncoupled rangefinder).

Balda has a nice little 6x6 folder, which should be inexpensive.

From the 1930s, there is the Kodak Vollenda 620 (the scale-focus 6x6 model).

Just how small is your budget?

Oh wait, a non-folding 6x6 camera that doesn't have a waist-level finder and isn't a TLR for a small amount of money? Yep, probably doesn't exit.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Kodak Medalist? Great lens on these cameras, easy to focus.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Kodak Medalist is not inexpensive, unless prices have dropped.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I did think of one. The Braun Paxina.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor 56/2
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Kodak Medalist is not inexpensive, unless prices have dropped.
    And Kodak Medalist is not small, not lightweight, and not 6x6. If the OP is willing to depart that far from what he seemed to be asking for, he might as well just look for a GW690. KEH is currently showing one in BGN condition for all of $339, and they have a liberal return policy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin