Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,224   Online: 793

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Rolleiflex Automat - what am I missing?

I've been shooting with an old Automat for a whole now (as it's a lighter daily carry than my Hasselblad!) and decided it might be nice to be able to do portraits as well as general photography. I know I need either a Rolleinar I or II for this, but I've run into a minor snag.

My Automat is one of the earlier ones with the push on viewing lens and the Bay I taking lens. I thought I had purchased the right stuff to overcome that, but when I developed the first roll every shot came out blurry (shooting at approx f5.8 or so...). What am I missing? Is there a part I don't have or something I'm doing wrong? I've attached pics of the camera and the 3 pieces I have - Rolleipar Proxar II and a Rolleinar I and Rolleinar II. Any help would be much appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You need one Rollienar I for taking lens and Rolleinar I + Rolleiproxar 1 for viewing lens. I belive Proxar I is for parallax error correction.

Similarly, one Rolleinar II for taking lens and Rolleibar II + Rolleiproxar 2 for viewing lens.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It looks to me like you need a Proxar 2 to go with the Rolleipar 2 on the upper lens, then you can use the Rolleinar 2 on the taking lens. This is assuming the Proxar 2 (which is what went with the older sets) is optically the same as the Rolleinar 2.

The Rolleinar 1 that you have can be used on the taking lens, but you will need the Rolleipar 1 and Proxar 1 push on lenses for the viewing lens.

In other words, you need three matched lenses for each closeup set (ie, 1 or 2). And I believe the viewing lens attachments will have to be the Proxar versions to work with the push-on attachment, since your viewing lens doesn't have the bayonet mount.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can do it w/ just one lens, but it is a PITA. Put the camera on a tripod and hold the close up lens to the front of the viewing lens. Attain focus, & put the close up lens on the taking lens. Take your shot & repeat as needed (or until your model loses patience). I did this on a 2.8, but on that model the top and bottom lenses had matching bayonets. It looks like yours is different top to bottom on the Automat.

Shooter
    35mm

Wow

G-R-E-A-T camera. Wish I still had mine. Enjoy!

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, so the Proxar just corrects for parallax? I thought it had a Rolleinar built in. :S

Is there any place you can think of to get a full set (with one push on and one Bay I lens)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get rolleiparkeil I and II if available separately.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/887691@...7621686591227/
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, no, no, Proxar is the name of the Carl Zeiss made close-up lenses.

This is how it is:

For Rolleiflex in the 30's and 40's Zeiss made the Proxar close-up lenses. The came in sets in these mounts:

1 x 24 mm and 1 x 28,5 mm push-on for the Original Rolleiflex.

2 x 28,5 mm push-on for the Rolleiflex Standard, early Rolleicords without bayonets, and they can also be used on the Rolleicord II type 2 - type 6, and the early Rolleiflex Automats, since they can accept push-on accessories.

1 x 28,5 mm push-on and 1 x Bayonet 1, for the 1937-38 Rolleiflex Automat and Rolleicord II type 2 and 3, with bayonet on the taking lens only.

2 x Bayonet 1, for the 1939 Rolleiflex Automat and later, and the Rolleicord II, type 4 and later.

For these sets you could buy the parallax compensating prism Rolleipar/Rolleiparkeil to be used on the viewing lens.

From 1950 the close-up lenses were made by F&H under their own tradename Rolleinar, and came in bayonet mounts. First in three-piece sets, the lenses plus the Rolleiparkeil parallax compensation prism, and later in two-piece sets with the prism anc lens in one unit for the viewing lens.

What you want is either the Proxars in 2 x 28,5 mm push-on, or better, the set with 1 x 28,5 mm push-on and 1 x Bayonet 1, plus the Rolleipar in 28,5 mm push-on mount.

But bear in mind that close-up lenses give the lens a wider angle and can distort the face a bit, like giving the person photographed a bigger nose. (The Proxar was also sold as a simple wide angle accessory lens for large format cameras, and the Distar minus lens as a simple "tele" accessory lens). You can shoot portraits without Proxar/Rolleinar and crop during printing instead, if you don't really need to fill the whole negative.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1, JPD.

Here is what needed, for first Automat, if it is with a Rolleinar 1; for the viewing lens, put first the Proxar 1 push-on and then the Rolleipar (für Proxar 1) on it; and put the Proxar B1 on the taking lens.
    However, all the Automat's but the later MX-EVS (K4B) can accept push-on accessories on both lenses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rolleinar_1.jpg  
    Last edited by Andy38; 03-15-2014 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, cool! These last two posts really helped me figure out what I need. Where's the best place to get them? Just trolling eBay until they show up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin