Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,799   Posts: 1,671,649   Online: 784

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Rolleiflex Automat - what am I missing?

I've been shooting with an old Automat for a whole now (as it's a lighter daily carry than my Hasselblad!) and decided it might be nice to be able to do portraits as well as general photography. I know I need either a Rolleinar I or II for this, but I've run into a minor snag.

My Automat is one of the earlier ones with the push on viewing lens and the Bay I taking lens. I thought I had purchased the right stuff to overcome that, but when I developed the first roll every shot came out blurry (shooting at approx f5.8 or so...). What am I missing? Is there a part I don't have or something I'm doing wrong? I've attached pics of the camera and the 3 pieces I have - Rolleipar Proxar II and a Rolleinar I and Rolleinar II. Any help would be much appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need one Rollienar I for taking lens and Rolleinar I + Rolleiproxar 1 for viewing lens. I belive Proxar I is for parallax error correction.

Similarly, one Rolleinar II for taking lens and Rolleibar II + Rolleiproxar 2 for viewing lens.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It looks to me like you need a Proxar 2 to go with the Rolleipar 2 on the upper lens, then you can use the Rolleinar 2 on the taking lens. This is assuming the Proxar 2 (which is what went with the older sets) is optically the same as the Rolleinar 2.

The Rolleinar 1 that you have can be used on the taking lens, but you will need the Rolleipar 1 and Proxar 1 push on lenses for the viewing lens.

In other words, you need three matched lenses for each closeup set (ie, 1 or 2). And I believe the viewing lens attachments will have to be the Proxar versions to work with the push-on attachment, since your viewing lens doesn't have the bayonet mount.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can do it w/ just one lens, but it is a PITA. Put the camera on a tripod and hold the close up lens to the front of the viewing lens. Attain focus, & put the close up lens on the taking lens. Take your shot & repeat as needed (or until your model loses patience). I did this on a 2.8, but on that model the top and bottom lenses had matching bayonets. It looks like yours is different top to bottom on the Automat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, so the Proxar just corrects for parallax? I thought it had a Rolleinar built in. :S

Is there any place you can think of to get a full set (with one push on and one Bay I lens)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get rolleiparkeil I and II if available separately.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/887691@...7621686591227/
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    No, no, no, Proxar is the name of the Carl Zeiss made close-up lenses.

This is how it is:

For Rolleiflex in the 30's and 40's Zeiss made the Proxar close-up lenses. The came in sets in these mounts:

1 x 24 mm and 1 x 28,5 mm push-on for the Original Rolleiflex.

2 x 28,5 mm push-on for the Rolleiflex Standard, early Rolleicords without bayonets, and they can also be used on the Rolleicord II type 2 - type 6, and the early Rolleiflex Automats, since they can accept push-on accessories.

1 x 28,5 mm push-on and 1 x Bayonet 1, for the 1937-38 Rolleiflex Automat and Rolleicord II type 2 and 3, with bayonet on the taking lens only.

2 x Bayonet 1, for the 1939 Rolleiflex Automat and later, and the Rolleicord II, type 4 and later.

For these sets you could buy the parallax compensating prism Rolleipar/Rolleiparkeil to be used on the viewing lens.

From 1950 the close-up lenses were made by F&H under their own tradename Rolleinar, and came in bayonet mounts. First in three-piece sets, the lenses plus the Rolleiparkeil parallax compensation prism, and later in two-piece sets with the prism anc lens in one unit for the viewing lens.

What you want is either the Proxars in 2 x 28,5 mm push-on, or better, the set with 1 x 28,5 mm push-on and 1 x Bayonet 1, plus the Rolleipar in 28,5 mm push-on mount.

But bear in mind that close-up lenses give the lens a wider angle and can distort the face a bit, like giving the person photographed a bigger nose. (The Proxar was also sold as a simple wide angle accessory lens for large format cameras, and the Distar minus lens as a simple "tele" accessory lens). You can shoot portraits without Proxar/Rolleinar and crop during printing instead, if you don't really need to fill the whole negative.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1, JPD.

Here is what needed, for first Automat, if it is with a Rolleinar 1; for the viewing lens, put first the Proxar 1 push-on and then the Rolleipar (für Proxar 1) on it; and put the Proxar B1 on the taking lens.
    However, all the Automat's but the later MX-EVS (K4B) can accept push-on accessories on both lenses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rolleinar_1.jpg  
    Last edited by Andy38; 03-15-2014 at 09:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, cool! These last two posts really helped me figure out what I need. Where's the best place to get them? Just trolling eBay until they show up?

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    There are some on eBay at the moment. If you buy these, then you have the complete set of close-up lenses for your Rolleiflex of that vintage:

Proxar 1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261391960749

Proxar 2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191102565729

The Rolleipar parallax compensation prisms for both:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151121028946

I don't know where you live, but they ship worldwide.
    J. Patric Dahlén

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin