Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,171   Online: 712

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Which will you choose

I have a choice between two ca
    mera , Mamiya RB67 & Mamiya M645 , if u r me , which will u choose ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you need to shoot handheld?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Years ago I made this choice and went for an M645 system purely because of ease of use hand-held, I was happy with the quality of 645 negatives and never regretted the decision.

Ian

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Larger negative vs. weight/size.

I like size and don't mind weight, so I would go for the larger negative size.
    Hold both cameras and check how it feels. And if money is a factor, check what extra lenses, film backs, etc. will cost.
    Andmaybe more important: what lenses are available and what system has the best lenses?

Ask yourself what you're going use it for. Indoor - outdoor, project - vacation, ... Then ask yourself if it would be easier to have a smaller camera or larger negatives.
    And what size of negatives can you print yourself in your darkroom (or scan) at home?

Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I chose the RB67 because no batteries. If 6x4.5 is desireable, i switch the back. An M645 is only 6x4.5 as far as i know. Although a good point has been made about shooting hand held. The RB67 is heavy. I have the hand grip, prizm view finder, and have used mine hand held. Wouldn't want it around my neck all day, that's for sure.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Yes , I shot handheld , outdoor and vacation

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I currently shoot both systems, RB67 and Mamiya 645 1000s

The RB feels like a 3 ton studio camera (and it is). It has a huge negative, rotating back, you can change backs mid-roll, lenses for it are relatively cheap and cocking the shutter feels like sliding the lever on a bolt-action rifle. The shutters are in the lenses and are leaf shutters, which synch flash at all speeds. If you get one, be prepared to be asked a LOT of questions if you're shooting in the field with it. People are always asking me about it. It becomes slightly-less awkward with an auxiliary flash like a Metz CT45, sometimes I carry it just to make it easier to handhold. Otherwise, it is my go-to film camera when I don't feel like lugging 60lb of large format equipment.

The 645 has a few advantages too. It's lighter, feels more like a traditional SLR, has fewer light seals, faster lenses with a 1.9 option, focal plane shutter built into the body, the lenses can be adapted to d*****l if you're into that sort of thing and it feels more comfortable in the hands. It still produces a negative vastly superior to 35mm. It also has the option for a d*****l back depending on which 645 model you get. The lenses for it are top notch and you get a few more shots per roll of film.

I find myself reaching for the RB more but I love both systems. They both produce wonderful results and the lenses on both systems are tack sharp, right up there with my Canon L lenses.

If you want the big 6x7 negative but not the awkward feel of the RB you should consider the Fuji GW670 or similar rangefinder cameras. I believe the Mamiya 7 is 6x7 as well and has interchangeable lenses.

The big question has to be "is the size and weight of the RB worth the increased negative size over the 645?"

Absolutely.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S /50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / A2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have an optech padded strap on my M645 with prism finder. It's just about OK to lug it around all day if we're out walking. I certainly wouldn't want anything heavier. I also shoot 6x6 using a nettar and yash TLR. I can't really say that I feel that I am losing much on 645. Of course 6x7 is that much bigger again. Horses for courses, but I find M645 a good compromise when I want SLR. Lightweight in MF, that Nettar takes some beating though!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by yashica92 View Post
    Yes , I shot handheld , outdoor and vacation
    If you want to bring the camera on vacation then I would suggest the M645, because it's smaller and lighter.

You will need a large and heavy bag to bring the RB67 with some lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had my m645AF around my neck hiking all day with a single 35 or 45mm lens, no problems.
    Tried the same with the Kiev88, and no go. The 67 is even bigger and heavier than that.
    The worst thing about the 645 is actually taking portraits, there's a recipe for wrist strain right there. The rotating back on the 67 has its advantages there.
    For travelling and hiking, I think 645 is a no brainer, unless you want more exercise.
    Even smaller and lighter again are the folding and rangefinder 67 and 69 cameras like Fujis, but they're a lot more expensive (probably because they're more popular with people who want the portability).
    The lenses for both are great, and most MF is cheap as all hell these days. 645 chews less film too, and unless you want to print 16x20 and up you probably won't see the difference...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin