Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,704   Online: 920

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tessar lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lens serial number is from the mid- to late 1950s. I'm pretty sure Carl Zeiss Jena would have been coating everything by then.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No one knows what camera this is?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    RattyMouse,
    I wrote this in my original post: it's a Welta Weltax (Rheinmetall).

Thanks to all!
    There is no colored letter on the lens, but a symbol just before "Tessar..". Anyone knows what this symbol means?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are two symbols: the one in front of the lens name and the other, a 1 in a rounded triangle, on the shutter.

The latter is one of a range of symbols indicated the product quality within production of GDR goods. In this case indicating good quality on par with the average of world production.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SalveSlog View Post
    RattyMouse,
    I wrote this in my original post: it's a Welta Weltax (Rheinmetall).

Thanks to all!
    There is no colored letter on the lens, but a symbol just before "Tessar..". Anyone knows what this symbol means?
    Thank you! I missed that as I never heard of this brand name before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The symbol before the Tessar is 1 in a Q, or the 1Q mark, meaning top-quality. It was definitely used in the Jena factory, but I'm not sure about Oberkochen.
    I've got 1Q on some of my Pentacon 6 lenses, but only the Zebra (earlier) versions have it, my Red-MC versions don't use this mark (but I'm not sure when they switched to marking MC, maybe the 70s?)
    Given that you have the 1Q mark, i'll presume that it's Not multicoated.
    The point of the Tessar was actually that it had some of the best IQ possible with the least amount of elements.
    As coatings got better you could get better IQ with more elements and they stopped making the Tessar in favour of the Biometar (P6, Jena) or Planar (Hassy, Oberkochen). There was never a Red MC Tessar for P6 as far as I've ever heard (although I could be wrong).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With no Red T symbol to indicate coating it's unlikely it's coated, their coatings around this period were heavy and decidedly blue so very easy to spot. The coating is also remarkable effective but would need a warm-up filter for colour work. I have a coated 150mm CZJ Tessar with slightly higher serial number.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, if you consult Arne Croell's article on post-WW II CZJ (it is on arnecroell.com) I think you'll find that the red T symbol was used to indicate that a lens was coated until the early '50s. After that all lenses that CZJ made were coated. You can check whether my failing memory has got me again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Ian, if you consult Arne Croell's article on post-WW II CZJ (it is on arnecroell.com) I think you'll find that the red T symbol was used to indicate that a lens was coated until the early '50s. After that all lenses that CZJ made were coated. You can check whether my failing memory has got me again.
    Yes , I agree but they were still using the T symbol around the time of serial number of the OP's lens and the CZJ coatings were quite heavy and noticeable.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 03-20-2014 at 09:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    There are two symbols: the one in front of the lens name and the other, a 1 in a rounded triangle, on the shutter.

The latter is one of a range of symbols indicated the product quality within production of GDR goods. In this case indicating good quality on par with the average of world production.
    I wasn't sure whether it denoted a certain quality of production, though that would make sense. I was familiar with the triangle-1 mark from looking at East German-produced firearms.

I have a Certo-6 with the same marking, and with a Tempor shutter. I don't know much about these shutters, other than that I understand they're Synchro Compur copies. Haven't used the camera enough to evaluate how good the shutter is, other than to note that the self-timer doesn't work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin