Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,421   Online: 783

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tessar lens

Shooter
    Medium Format

Tessar lens

I would like to hear opinions on this lens. Is it coated? (It's on a Welta Weltax Rheinmetall)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tessar-lens.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    1955 camera. Probably coated.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Excellent lens , one of the best you can get with a folder. Its extremelly sharp and corrected , you can look its images at flickr. And dim light portraits are legendary. Use Portra with it and you will not be dissapointed.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Would you like to inform on that very lens or the Tessar in general?

The Tessar has been one of the most common lens designs for decades. It is a so-called modified triplet, as it consists of three groups but four lens elements, as one element of the triplet was subtituted by two cemented together.

It has good resolution, is quite fast and quite simple. There had been at least three design evolutions cranking up speed. It has been cloned countlessly under as many names.

One additional advantage is that instead of moving the whole lens quite a bit for focusing one can mount it that way that only the front element is moved, a tiny distance, still yielding good quality. This simplified camera designs very much as the lens does not lengthen and a between-the-lens shutter can remain static.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-19-2014 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am not talking about cheap clones from japan. I am talking about tessars on folders and zeiss branded. Its not a quite lens , its one of the best lens on folders. Mozart is more basic to play than bach but he is a genius. No , more lens elements does not make better lenses , may be faster but it is not better. I come from summicron 7 elements to 2 elements goerz in 20 years and it is about designing the lens , not element count.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My posting was directed at SalveSlog. Though I doubt there are significant differences between known manufacturers. Mustafa, keep in mind that the concept of front-lens focusing ítself does not gain the image quality of barrel focusing anyway.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-19-2014 at 07:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What camera is that connected to? Is it a 6 x 9?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    double format: 6x6 or 6x4,5

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Coated lenses did not come into common usage until after WWII. These early lenses were single coated with multi-coating being a later invention. The tessar is described as having 4 elements in 3 groups. The name comes from the Greek word for four (4) which is tessera. This design begins to show good resolution when stopped down to an aperture of 3.5.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As Gerald said, the Tessar is a 4 element design, and a very, very good one. Tessars are known for sharpness. I had the same lens on a Welta many years ago and I wish I had never sold that camera. It took great photos. Sharp as a tack. Mine was single coated, as this one appears to be. I actually prefer uncoated for B&W though.

Don't discount old lens designs. The best lens I ever owned was on an ancient Voigtlander Brillant. It was an uncoated Heliar, made in the 1930's, and it would eat a Rolleiflex or Hasselblad for lunch. Really, it was an amazing lens. Very 3-D imaging, excellent tonality. The camera was sort of a PITA to use, but the lens was the real deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin