Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,662   Posts: 1,623,932   Online: 838

Shooter
    Multi Format

Question reusing a Minolta autocord view finder

I wanted to try out TLR so purchased a Minolta Autocord. the viewfinderf has four grid lines spaced about 20 % from the edge of the frame. I assume the lines are there to assist you with the alignments of your horizontals and verticals. Having never used an autocord and having yet to see the results of my first film, I am starting to wonder how the final image compares to what you see in the viewfinder. I am assuming that the area inside the grid lines is not the "image area" but the actual image area approximates the full size that you see on the ground glass. Does anyone else have an Autocord and can answer this question. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're correct -- the full viewfinder approximates what's on the film, though I'm not sure how precise that is. The gridlines are for horizontals and verticals, as you figured.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    There is no parallex correction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your answers (and help)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Some Autocord fresnels have small arrows cast into the plastic along the left and right side, top. These are to show the upper frame limit due to parallax at close focusing distances. If you remember to look at them

Shooter
    Multi Format
    they're probably also compositional aids -- some cameras have lines there to remind you where the horizon and so forth should be for "best" composition, the magic thirds idea. Other screens have a smaller grid of squares etched into the glass for the same reason.

Parallax is why I prefer Rolleis, but in any camera it's never been a huge problem. The Minolta very likely actually shoots a bit more than what you see in the ground glass to cover you on the parallax front.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    the user manual says they are for crop to standard paper aspect.

The rollis put a kink in the film the Autocords don't...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin