Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,852   Online: 1101

CSO

Shooter
    35mm

Winder CW for 503CW - How useful is it?

Hi all,

I'm new on this forum and was wondering if I could get some advice... I'm about to receive a 503CW system from my dad and was wondering if there are any Hassy users using the 503CW/CXi with the Winder CW? How useful is this winder? Does it really provide a firmer grip of the body? Do I really need it for portrait type shoots or it is something that will simply add bulk to the system with no real advantage?

Sorry for all these question for a first post but any advise from actual users and non-users will be greatly appreciate.

Rgds, CSO

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found the winder for the CW a pain and sold it very quickly. Main concerns were with mis firing and over all bulk unless you must have remote firing I would put the dollars towards a portrait lens like the 100 macro.
    Wazza

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CSO
    How useful is this winder? Does it really provide a firmer grip of the body?
    I have found the CW winder very beneficial. First, I find it very ergonomic. Its design allows me to handhold my Hassey, even with a 250mm lens - albeit very fast speed in blazing daylight. Also, I like the features it offers - the IR remote, continuous shooting option (admittedly I have never used this feature), and the multiple images feature (easy way to make double/triple/quadruple etc... exposures).

Also, unlike wazza, I have never experienced a single misfiring. Every pic taken on my Hassey has been with the CW attached. I do all my studio work with it, I travel with it (it actually makes travel easier IMO), all my location shots, even shots taken on a tripod (with the IR feature).

Do I really need it for portrait type shoots or it is something that will simply add bulk to the system with no real advantage?
    No, I don't think you really need it for portraits. It's a nice to have. I would check out the features and visit the local camera shop and feel it in your hands. As for advantages, only you can determine that.

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 02-20-2005 at 09:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

I also had a CW winder for awhile. Yes it does help with handholding the camera. I had no problems with misfiring. The remote control was nice. But, in the end, I didn't like it. It's quite noisy (I like the sound of the Hassy firing, but the winder noise I found unpleasant). I also didn't like the bulkiness of the setup with the PME 45 prism. Overall, I found the Hassy 503cw with the cw winder nowhere near as refined feeling and sounding as the Rollei 6008. It all depends if you feel you need a winder.

CSO

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks of your input... I guess I will have a go with the 503CW without the winder and maybe try one at the shop to feel the difference before deciding on it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CSO
    Thanks of your input... I guess I will have a go with the 503CW without the winder and maybe try one at the shop to feel the difference before deciding on it.
    Try getting one cheap on e-bay, I did. I always use it for handheld also
    the remote works well. The winder is a bit noisy, but its nice to have the auto wind on I find it makes the camera very fluent to use.
    Also its good to setup the Hassy on a tripod and you can walk around
    talking to the subject, I guess it's less obvious than having a shutter release
    attached using the remote.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin