Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,005   Posts: 1,633,513   Online: 839

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sekor C 80mm f2.8

Ok, I admit that it is way to early for GAS considering that I got a 645 Pro with 2 lenses less than a month ago but It doesn't hurt to ask.

I got the Sekor C 110mm f2.8 & the 55mm f2.8. Originally I was going for the 80mm in question but the guy selling the kit had only the other 2 available so I went for them.

To be honest I would not bother with the 80mm but I am afraid that 55 will be too wide and the 110 too long In many cases. Especially considering that the 80mm is the equivalent 50mm in 135 format which is the standard walk about lens. I can concur with that since I have a 50mm on my Pentax MX and I love it.

So, provided that I find a nice/cheap copy of the 80mm, should I go for it? IQ-wise I think it is sharp and contrasty so a good choice for my landscapes as well.

Any comments/thoughts/suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Woah!

You need to get used to what you have, before you decide you want something else.

There are lots of 80mm lenses out there, so there isn't any reason to rush.

The 645 has a different aspect ratio then 35mm, so you cannot easily apply your preferences in one format to the other.

If you get an 80mm, I'll almost guarantee that you will start thinking that the 55mm is too close to it.

I find the 55mm to be an excellent "standard" lens, and the 55mm/110mm combo to be very flexible.

Of course, I also have the 45mm and an 80mm macro too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Woah!

Of course, I also have the 45mm and an 80mm macro too.
    I have the 45mm 2.8 C and it's one of my favorites. It's funny because I don't care for 28mm in 135.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Use the 55mm and 110mm for a while and see how you like these lenses. Then you can better decide if you want an 80mm or maybe something wider or more tele. Don't forget that many 35mm P&S cameras had a 35mm lens. So the 55mm on your M645 should be also be good as a walk-around lens. For street scenes, the 110mm might be better than the 80mm. Don't be to hung-up on the term "standard" lens. Any lens can be your standard lens. There was also a time (1980s?) that a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera was considered boring, too standard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd venture to say the difference between 80 & 110mm is pretty negligible.
    The difference in horizontal angle of view is only a few degrees.
    Expletive Deleted!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin