Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,976   Online: 828

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The image that is said to be most viewed is computer generated. It has been digitized by a computer then reconstructed with colored lights by a computer.

Looking at that any thinking you are seeing an analog photograph is like viewing a bottle of wine on your computer and believing you have tasted it.
    It's not that the wallpaper image is analog and unretouched. Neither are the APUG gallery images. It's that the photograph was originally made with no computer generated anything. And that's quite refreshing to me.

Many today are so lost in the virtual worlds that their moronic computerized gadgets create, then imprison them in, that they can't fathom the concept that for the last five million years (minus a couple of decades) humans made and did everything with no computer generated anything. And that cleverness didn't only begin in 1981. Nor did photography.

In fact, over those millenia they actually ate, slept, moved, spoke, read, wrote, debated, philosophized, fought, socialized, procreated, lived, and died without having to continuously consult a stupid gadget to tell them how. Or when. Or where. Or why.

So a photographic image that was created with no computer generated anything? Created only by someone actually using their own brain? Without a gadget to tell them what to do or how to do it? That was then used to daily greet computer users for over a decade? Users for whom that irony was totally lost? Because their gadgets didn't tell them it was ironic?

Ahhhhh...

Ken

[Edit: Yesterday I was the only one at the office. Took some time out from the Heartbleed mess for lunch. Walked across the street to a Subway. Got in line. Idly counted 15 people in front of me. Each and every one was head-down nose-plastered to the tiny screen of a gadget.

The counter girl asked of one, "What would you like on your sandwich?" No response. "Sir?" No response. Another in front of me was asked, "What can I get for you today?" No eye contact, but this time a mumbled response. "Just a minute..."

By this time there were probably another 5 people waiting behind me. I was THIS CLOSE to just reaching out, jerking the damned thing out of his hands, then tossing it in the trash for him to have to go retrieve undamaged, just to make my point. But I didn't. But I sure as hell wanted to.

So sorry, you caught me at a bad stupid digital gadget moment...]
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 04-12-2014 at 04:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Rant explanation...
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    It's not that the wallpaper image is analog and unretouched. Neither are the APUG gallery images. It's that the photograph was originally made with no computer generated anything. And that's quite refreshing to me.

Many today are so lost in the virtual worlds that their moronic computerized gadgets create, then imprison them in, that they can't fathom the concept that for the last five million years (minus a couple of decades) humans made and did everything with no computer generated anything. And that cleverness didn't only begin in 1981. Nor did photography.

In fact, over those millenia they actually ate, slept, moved, spoke, read, wrote, debated, philosophized, fought, socialized, procreated, lived, and died without having to continuously consult a stupid gadget to tell them how. Or when. Or where. Or why.

So a photographic image that was created with no computer generated anything? Created only by someone actually using their own brain? Without a gadget to tell them what to do or how to do it? That was then used to daily greet computer users for over a decade? Users for whom that irony was totally lost? Because their gadgets didn't tell them it was ironic?

Ahhhhh...

Ken

[Edit: Yesterday I was the only one at the office. Took some time out from the Heartbleed mess for lunch. Walked across the street to a Subway. Got in line. Idly counted 15 people in front of me. Each and every one was head-down nose-plastered to the tiny screen of a gadget.

The counter girl asked of one, "What would you like on your sandwich?" No response. "Sir?" No response. Another in front of me was asked, "What can I get for you today?" No eye contact, but this time a mumbled response. "Just a minute..."

By this time there were probably another 5 people waiting behind me. I was THIS CLOSE to just reaching out, jerking the damned thing out of his hands, then tossing it in the trash for him to have to go retrieve undamaged, just to make my point. But I didn't. But I sure as hell wanted to.

I would have just spoken up and put in your order instead "since he's not interested in eating I'll have X"
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great story, for an excellent story teller! I loved it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ahhhhh...

Ken

The kids allot younger than me seriously didn't know how good photos were taken before digital cameras....the question of how scared me and I simply pointed to the wall with various Ansel Adams photos on my wall when I bring my film cameras people are stupid and say "Ha they still make film?" "Why aren't you using a digital camera..." or my personal favorite "Why would you take a picture on something thats worse quality?" last one makes me want beat the person with my Fuji GW690 and strangle them with tightly wound release cables and 120 paper backing but I have self control and I don't. But yeah I would have cut that guy, I've done it before, what if some crazy guy runs into a subway with a gun? Half the people probably end up dead/injured because they didn't pay attention...if everyone paid attention to their surroundings they'd be better off...makes you think...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You scare me... Lol
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You scare me... Lol
    Just don't disagree with me on photographic matters ok? In all seriousness though I probably have some pretty dark humor....

I forgot to ask...anyone know if he said what specific film he used? He said Fuji and I'm going to say its a safe bet to say the original Velvia....I really wanna shoot landscapes now.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nateo200 View Post
    Just don't disagree with me on photographic matters ok? In all seriousness though I probably have some pretty dark humor....

I forgot to ask...anyone know if he said what specific film he used? He said Fuji and I'm going to say its a safe bet to say the original Velvia....I really wanna shoot landscapes now.
    He said Fuji film and then mentioned how colorful and high saturation so yea probably Velvia of some kind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Funny ... everytime I looked at this picture I thought this may have been taken on Velvia. And I was right!

Shooter
    35mm

Most...what

Is it the most watched photo of all time or the most ignored photo of all time? Coke has been plastering indoor and outdoor halls with the images of their soda for so long nobody notices them. They put them on billboard and barns and peoples' brains just don't take any notice any more. Do you notice the nick on your windshield even though you see it every day - sometimes for hours during a long commute? You do not notice it even if it is there. The money boys would be happy to keep the myth going that you study the image every time it pops up but you don't even show a flicker of recognition. Another modern urban myth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretty awesome story!

Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Is it the most watched photo of all time or the most ignored photo of all time? Coke has been plastering indoor and outdoor halls with the images of their soda for so long nobody notices them. They put them on billboard and barns and peoples' brains just don't take any notice any more. Do you notice the nick on your windshield even though you see it every day - sometimes for hours during a long commute? You do not notice it even if it is there. The money boys would be happy to keep the myth going that you study the image every time it pops up but you don't even show a flicker of recognition. Another modern urban myth.
    Haha, somewhat agreed. That wallpaper was the hallmark of public computers, or pinned you for someone who didn't know how to change the wallpaper image.

What I really want to know is the story behind that bluish green default background color in Windows 2000.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin