Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,839   Posts: 1,582,468   Online: 752

Shooter
    35mm

Kiev metered prisms on Hasselblad

Anyone use or have experience using the Kiev metered prism on the Hasselblad 500c/m? Just got a 500c/m with a 42165 acute matte screen and would like to use a metered prism. Don't really want to spend the money for a PME3/5, but for $77, those Kiev prisms look like a nice alternative. Thanks for any advice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I adapted the Kiev spot metering prism to a Bronica S2A, and it seemed to work pretty well--certainly better than the metering finder of the S2A era, but not as good, I'm sure, as a Hassy finder of relatively recent vintage. You can calibrate it to the screen, so it should work with any camera you can physically mount it on. My Bronicas had Satin Snow screens.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Haven't used one on a Hassy, but I've got the 45-degree TTL-Spot on my K88CM.
    Can't really compare it to a hassy prism because I've never tried one. But it works perfectly well enough, big and bright and heavy (apparently lighter than a hassy though), the batteries haven't needed changing since I got it (love that auto-off).
    It can be easily calibrated, or even recalibrated to whatever you want (eg the max-speed film you can dial in is 3200, I used D3200 @ ei 6400, before I went out I recalibrated it a stop faster).
    Viewing level is perfect for me, hence why I got the 45-degree. Not too low for portraits, not SLR-height or I would have used an slr-shaped body.
    Not sure how accurate the 'spot' is when using stop-down with a split-prism focussing screen, but other than that no caveats I've ever experienced.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The FSU one I have will only work with a Fresnel screen - as with plain ground glass it has not got a large enough exit pupil for outer part of ground glass.

If you use Fresnel screen you are ok.

Otherwise it is good as a finder and as a meter in average or spot.

It is bulky and heavy but improves handling a lot.

People grumble about sample variation with the FSU kit but all of mine has been ok.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Maybe there are different Kiev prisms? Mine worked perfectly on an older 500c w/o a fresnel. As mentioned, the prisms are big and heavy. Looked pretty ugly duckling on that beautiful 'blad, so I just went back to a WLF and a hand held meter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Maybe there are different Kiev prisms? Mine worked perfectly on an older 500c w/o a fresnel. As mentioned, the prisms are big and heavy. Looked pretty ugly duckling on that beautiful 'blad, so I just went back to a WLF and a hand held meter.
    Ok but there is big difference at the edges in available light between the 500C plain screen and the CMs Fresnel, sold my 500C. Do use the prism for moving subjects, the meter some times cause it is there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I adapted the Kiev spot metering prism to a Bronica S2A
    Did it need much modification? Any details anywhere?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    To fit the S2A, I just had to file the (easily removable) mounting plate on the Kiev Spot prism to fit the Bronica, and as I recall, I had to grind down a small indentation along the front edge of the base of the prism itself, so that when the baseplate of the prism was replaced, there would be a slot for the locking tab on the front of the camera body.

The prism is quite heavy for mounting in this way, and if the camera were jarred in a significant way, I could see the prism shaking itself off, so I usually kept a thick rubber band around the prism and the camera body, which doesn't interfere with operation of the camera, as extra security. It may be that that wouldn't be necessary if the mount were machined more precisely than I could manage with a couple of files, a Dremel, and my limited machining skills.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    My only complaint with the Kiev metered-finders is the screw that holds the meter dial in place. It is completely non-standard and made of a very soft material. Mine broke off and I ended up jamming something sort of similar in there. Otherwise, it was plenty accurate for me and the optics were excellent.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not having a good light meter, I used an iPhone app and calibrated my Kiev TTL prism to what I hope gives favorable results. I'll be running a few rolls this weekend.

I did get back some of my first rolls, and noticed many of my shots were not sharp. I was shooting mostly in bright daylight at 2.8, but using a 3 stop ND which got my shutter speed down to 1/500, 1/250, and 1/125 for most of my shots. Kind of strange to get camera shake using fast shutter speeds.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin