Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,477   Online: 1101

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my 1A's came from the original owner along with the instruction book and a folding metal tripod he purchased at the same time. There is only one window and no mention in the instruction book of the possibility of a format mask. The additional window on yours being offset for the line of the normal window makes me wonder if someone added it maybe to use some other size of film. Would that window line up with one of the outer rows of numbers on 120 film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    One of my 1A's came from the original owner along with the instruction book and a folding metal tripod he purchased at the same time. There is only one window and no mention in the instruction book of the possibility of a format mask. The additional window on yours being offset for the line of the normal window makes me wonder if someone added it maybe to use some other size of film. Would that window line up with one of the outer rows of numbers on 120 film?
    I was wondering the same - the second window does look like a bit of an "add-on".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Kodak No. 1A Autographic Kodak WHICH RED WINDOW??

Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    That is an interesting thought, it doesn't appear as if there is some kind of insert to take another size film...

It also does not have the mask.

The thing I find most interesting, is that the window that supposedly is the one that I should not use is much much darker in red color than the lower window, so the two windows are actually of different densities of red...

As per the roll film numbers themselves, the camera numbers typically don't to seem to have any kind of relevance from one number to the other, and they were probably a few one a type cameras that were all different with no real explanation except that Kodak probably wanted you to buy a new version of the same camera to make double the money and call it something different lol.

So your version of the one eight may not be the same as mine it's certainly not the junior version, the one I have is the regular, I also noticed that nine on the back only says "No. A", and on the front says "1-A" which is interesting because I don't see the "–" on a lot of other ones...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    It also does not have the mask.
    around the film gate there are there fins that flip up and lock ?
    ( a lot of box cameras do this cheaper than a mask and can't get lost like a mask ) ..

a bad guess but maybe you have an accessory back ( or a back to a different 116 camera )
    and the person lost the mask or lost the original back and used this one because it fit / was close enough.
    the 3A ( the camera whose manual i copied the attachment from ) had accessory backs
    split frame backs and a ground glass and plate back .. so maybe .. its not the actual, original back.

folders were pretty versatile ...
    kodak made a bundle on selling these cameras and all the accessories to the amateur market/"leisure class"..
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-13-2014 at 03:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Having recently gotten back to buying Kodak cameras (I started with a Brownie Reflex in 1947) I am amazed at how clever Kodak could be. A box camera made out of cardboard that is in fine shape 80 years later? They were master at making something stupidly simple that worked. I just bought a Kodak 35 from 1946 and it is a FrankenKodak, thrown together with butt-ugly stuff added onto an ancient basic camera. But the shutter seems to work so I will have a go with it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't own any box cameras... Just folders...

It has film in it right now, but I'm sure nothing flips out as a mask...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You guys got me all fired up and my three autographics are now loaded and ready to go. Just what I needed when I'm supposed to be thinking about WPPD. And yesterday I shot a roll of tri-x that I'm going to put in diafine ( I've never done that before! ) So I'm going in about 25 directions all at once. I'll try not to crash into myself....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NedL View Post
    You guys got me all fired up and my three autographics are now loaded and ready to go. Just what I needed when I'm supposed to be thinking about WPPD. And yesterday I shot a roll of tri-x that I'm going to put in diafine ( I've never done that before! ) So I'm going in about 25 directions all at once. I'll try not to crash into myself....
    I posted this elsewhere but I did too!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397433257.597368.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	211.1 KB 
ID:	86221
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1397433267.615067.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	275.6 KB 
ID:	86222

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very cool!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Does anyone know, did JOBO ever make a 116 or 616 or 70mm short roll reel to fit in their 1500 or 2500 series tanks??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin