Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,222   Online: 983
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 12 of 12
  1. #11
    DWThomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    SE Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,261
    Images
    67
    A few years back in one of these discussions, someone posted some pictures of the internals in one of those inserts. There are a lot of links, levers, pinions and gizmos in there, so I would imagine dirt or congealed lubricant could be a problem. I (so far) haven't had the time or patience to try to sort through all the interactions in my SQ-A -- mechanical or electrical. I was speculating that if that interlock were jammed, it might cause the insert to get confused. With the reverse bend the film makes over those rollers they can't help but turn, however in a quick look here, I'm not sure they turn anything. I vaguely remember some sort of slotted cam-like part in those pictures that suggest to me the insert measures spacing in some obscure way, perhaps based on compensating crank turns for some assumed winding diameter change. No doubt one of these days I'll have a problem and dig into it further.

    Interesting beasties!

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Glasgow, UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    63
    Some time last year, one of my SQ-A backs suddenly became very difficult (actually more like impossible) to wind and would occasionally skip frames when I did manage to get the crank on the body all the way around.

    I was a bit apprehensive about opening up the insert and playing around with its intricate insides, but I had a couple of other backs and had nothing to lose really, as the back was unusable in its current state.

    After picking up some very small screwdrivers and an x-acto knife, I followed the directions from this link to open the insert up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zzpza/...7627089382019/

    Once I got inside, I determined that there was a cog in there that wasn't moving as smoothly as it should have been while winding. I grabbed a q-tip, dabbed it in some WD-40, and gently applied it to the cog. That did the trick and I haven't had a problem with the back since.

    I'm not saying that this is exactly your issue, but it is possible there is a simple solution.

    That said, I was very surprised by how intricate these backs were inside; I'm glad that I didn't need to do any more in there than I had to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin