Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,622   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Broken Bronica SQ-A film back advice?

Hi!

Recently I bought a second hand Bronica SQ-A and when I load the film the advance doesn't stop at the first exposure like it's suppose to and just carries on winding, through reading previous posts I figured perhaps the back is bust but does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, do you have any tips on how I could shoot with this problem or is it just not possible?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    throw it in the garbage. buy a replacement on ebay.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it's probably no use and you'll need another. Don't throw it out. You can take spares off it if you need them. Sometimes the rollers are damaged on an otherwise good back. They are easy to change over if you need to.
    Alex

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hate to ask this, but are you certain that you loaded the film properly?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alas, not the first time to hear of this symptom. The first back I bought did that, just cranked the film right through. In my case, I returned it to the seller.

There is an interlock -- a small cylindrical projection with a pin inside -- between the back and the body. If that pin were bent, it could be a problem. I've so far not disassembled a back, but it could well be fixable, maybe just some cleaning needed.

I agree with Alex, don't throw it out. If not repairable, it could at least provide spare parts, and there's no more being made.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Absolutely positive it's loaded properly, used one a few times before and sat with a tutorial as well and still happens!

Ahh what a pain, thank-you for all your advice! Best get searching for a new one

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by klou View Post
    Absolutely positive it's loaded properly, used one a few times before and sat with a tutorial as well and still happens!

Ahh what a pain, thank-you for all your advice! Best get searching for a new one
    Sorry, but I had to ask. With the prices of medium format having plummeted to 10% of the original price, lots of medium format newcomers with used gear and zero documentation trying stuff out. Putting rollfilm in, wrong side forward to the lens, is certainly not all that uncommon for a newcomer to equipment.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's alright no problem, a lot of the time these things are down to silly mistakes aren't they!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RB's have an interlock in their backs too.
    There's an actuating pin in the body that pops into the back. This pin sometimes suffers from "sticky lube" and it looks like the back is malfunctioning.
    If there's a similar system in the Bronica, it may just take a drop or two of Naptha/Alcohol/mystery solvent.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DWThomas View Post
    There is an interlock -- a small cylindrical projection with a pin inside -- between the back and the body. If that pin were bent, it could be a problem.
    There is an issue with the insert itself, which has all of the 'works', so it might be remedied by a repair guy, or simply by buying a good condition insert on the used market (since used prices for medium format is so very low, relative to repair labor).

The chrome cylinder with pin only serves as an interlock to the body, so that the body knows whether or not the film needs to be advanced. The insert (in the back) should nevertheless permit the user to advance the film to frame 1 (and stop there) even without it being mounted on a body.

There needs to be sufficient tension in the film for advancing the leader onto the takeup reel to cause the frame counter to advance to '1'...otherwise the film can be moving -- even to the end of the roll -- but the counter never advances to '1'.

I am unable to determine just how 'sufficient film tension' is signaled to the counter. I do know, from testing, that even if the roll has been properly tensioned and advanced to '1', as soon as you open the back to remove the insert the counter immediately resets to 'S'...tension has been lost! It might be the metal sensor at the back right of the insert which communicates 'back closed' that allows the counter to advance to '1' (or to lose count when opened), rather than 'sufficient film tension' status per se.
    Last edited by wiltw; 04-17-2014 at 10:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin